Home

Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Report offensive ad

Mevater

Post Posted: Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:05 am       Post subject: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
I love the Schick's Onion Kugel, but I don't want to bother with a dough- it's sort of like a Strudel. Are there any yummy good (tried) recipes?

Lani22

Post Posted: Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:09 am       Post subject: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
Sorry I dont have a recipe, but why dont you try puff pastry dough?

Mevater

Post Posted: Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:14 am       Post subject: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
Schick's Strudel type "kugel" is filled with sauteed onions. I'd rather process and bake onions to make it quicker.

greenfire

Post Posted: Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:19 am       Post subject: Re: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
letsbehonest wrote:
Schick's Strudel type "kugel" is filled with sauteed onions. I'd rather process and bake onions to make it quicker.

hey I've never made it before ... but I would suggest sautee' and add some fresh garlic cloves in olive oil ... a little extra work will go a long way on the tastebuds ... mmmm

Ima'la

Post Posted: Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:30 am       Post subject: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
Yeah, here's an easy sweet lokshen-onion kugel recipe.

Chop up a few onions, put a little oil in a pan (just enough to cover the bottom), put the onions in, bake at 350. Put water up to boil, when it boils, add a bag of medium yellow noodles. (In the meantime, stir the onions occasionally.) When the noodles are cooked, remove pan from oven, add noodles, 5 eggs, 1/2 c. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, mix, bake 1/2 hr., then cover and bake additional 15 min.

Mevater

Post Posted: Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:51 am       Post subject: Re: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
Ima'la wrote:
Yeah, here's an easy sweet lokshen-onion kugel recipe.

Chop up a few onions, put a little oil in a pan (just enough to cover the bottom), put the onions in, bake at 350. Put water up to boil, when it boils, add a bag of medium yellow noodles. (In the meantime, stir the onions occasionally.) When the noodles are cooked, remove pan from oven, add noodles, 5 eggs, 1/2 c. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, mix, bake 1/2 hr., then cover and bake additional 15 min.
Sounds good, but have you ever tried this?

lubmommy

Post Posted: Thu, Nov 01 2007, 12:06 pm       Post subject: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
This is my mother's recipe:

Saute' 2 lg. onions in about 1/2 c. oil
Boil 20 oz. wide or medium egg noodles
Mix together and add 8 eggs, 2-3 t. salt, and sprinkle w/ pepper
Pour into sprayed 9x13 and sprinkle with matzo mehl or wheat germ
Bake 350 for 1 hr. covered for soft top, or uncovered for crunchy top.

Enjoy!

Mevater

Post Posted: Thu, Nov 01 2007, 12:14 pm       Post subject: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
Anyone know of a recipe w/o noodles? I already made a Lukshen Kugel.

Ima'la

Post Posted: Fri, Nov 02 2007, 3:17 am       Post subject: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
I've made it lots of times - it's delish! Got it from my neighbor, from her Hungarian grandmother.

ilovestrollers

Post Posted: Thu, Nov 29 2007, 3:33 pm       Post subject: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
Does anyone have a recipe for the "strudel type" onion kugel.

Thanks.

ValleyMom

Post Posted: Wed, Sep 16 2009, 10:00 am       Post subject: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
sOMEONE POSTED THIS RECIPE IN ANOTHER ONION KUGEL THREAD. fROGIVE ME BUT I FORGOT THE op--JUST DO ANOTHER SEARCH TO BE SURE I HAVE ALL THE DETAILS...

3 lg onions, diced
2 Tbsps oil
1 egg

Dough:
3 cups flour
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
3/4 tsp salt.

Fry onions in oil until translucent. Let cool. Mix egg in.
Mix the dough together.
Roll dough in jellyroll fashion, into 2 rolls.
Spead half of onion mixture into each roll.

Shmear with egg on top to make shiny
Bake 45-60 minutes on 350.

Just made this today, always a hit.
You can make a mushroom sauce with it if you're feeling fancy

ShakleeMom

Post Posted: Wed, Sep 16 2009, 10:50 am       Post subject:
I have 6 lbs. of onions that I sauteed yesterday, dough recipe anyone?

takeiteasy

Post Posted: Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:38 pm       Post subject: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
You can buy pasty dough and fill with onions. Roll jelly roll style smear w/ egg and bake in on a cookie sheet or in a round bekelah or

ShakleeMom

Post Posted: Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:40 pm       Post subject: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
OKay, it's in the oven now!

here's the dough:

3 cups flour
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 t. salt

makes enough for 2 kugels, freezes nice.

Take one half of the dough and roll very thin. Spread the onion mixture until about 1 inch form the edge. roll up jelly roll style, then wrap the roll into a round circle. bake in a round pan for about 1 hour.

Every now and then, take the oil from the sides and smear over the top of the dough while baking.

In the onion mixture I added salt, pepper, white pepper, and a drop of sugar. a 2 lb. container of sauteed onions was enough for 1 roll only.

Sorry, not sharing even 1 slice Twisted Evil

Last edited by ShakleeMom on Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

curlytop

Post Posted: Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:43 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
ValleyMom wrote:
sOMEONE POSTED THIS RECIPE IN ANOTHER ONION KUGEL THREAD. fROGIVE ME BUT I FORGOT THE op--JUST DO ANOTHER SEARCH TO BE SURE I HAVE ALL THE DETAILS...

3 lg onions, diced
2 Tbsps oil
1 egg

Dough:
3 cups flour
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
3/4 tsp salt.

Fry onions in oil until translucent. Let cool. Mix egg in.
Mix the dough together.
Roll dough in jellyroll fashion, into 2 rolls.
Spead half of onion mixture into each roll.

Shmear with egg on top to make shiny
Bake 45-60 minutes on 350.

Just made this today, always a hit.
You can make a mushroom sauce with it if you're feeling fancy

That was me Smile
thanks for posting.

Mevater

Post Posted: Sun, Sep 20 2009, 11:44 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Onion Kugel Recipe, anyone?
curlytop wrote:

That was me Smile
thanks for posting.

Thank YOU for posting, curlytop!
Best Onion Kugel Recipe ever! It outdid Schicks Takeout, who I thought made a super Onion Kugel!! Wo!!! If you have any other professional type recipes, please send them this way.
View previous topic :: View next topic

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Page 1 of 1