Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Black and white on photoshop?

lili

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 3:03 pm
what's the best way to turn a color pic to black and white?
thanx

Shalshelet

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 3:05 pm
try desaturating the image to get a greyscale picture.

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 3:13 pm
It will look better if you colorize first and then desaturate

su7kids

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 3:13 pm
even easier "go to "mode" and do it in "grayscale"

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 4:18 pm
su7kids wrote:

image > mode > grayscale

but make a copy of your layer before in case you don't like it!

Trouble with grayscale is that if you want to add words let's say, in red, it will show in black and white because the whole file changes to black and white, not just the layer. So yes, if you need only this layer, then adjust the coloring like mentioned earlier.

chayitty

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 5:36 pm
the way I turn a picture to black&white is first I take the pic and do ctrl shift alt and b at once (not sure what its a shortcut for) it turns it into reg. black&white I dont do the preset I play around with what gets lighter and darker...like for outdoors when theres alot of grass I lighten it and the yellows...then I burn the edges and contrast alot...

for some reasson it looks a bit darker here then in real...but basically...

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 5:46 pm
chayitty that's incredible.

newlymarried

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 7:34 pm
I would love to know how to make a picture black and white except for one colour.
I have a picture of my baby where there is a blue in the bakground that's almost the same as her eyes

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 7:37 pm
newlymarried wrote:
I would love to know how to make a picture black and white except for one colour.
I have a picture of my baby where there is a blue in the bakground that's almost the same as her eyes

select only that colored object and copy it to a new layer... place it above the b&w layer.

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 7:51 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
su7kids wrote:

image > mode > grayscale

but make a copy of your layer before in case you don't like it!

Trouble with grayscale is that if you want to add words let's say, in red, it will show in black and white because the whole file changes to black and white, not just the layer. So yes, if you need only this layer, then adjust the coloring like mentioned earlier.

after you put it on grayscale you can switch to rgb and it will still be black. that will take care of being able to put colored words on top.

sunspot

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 3:25 pm
use the black and white adjustment layer in photoshop while in rgb color mode (selectively colorize by painting with a black brush on mask next to adjustment layer)

this is in cs3 and above for sure

lili

Post Sat, Sep 12 2009, 2:09 pm
newlymarried wrote:

first duplicate the whole picture. make one b+w.
on the other one, select the areas you want to have coloured and create a mask. move b+w picture over the one with the mask and in layers, put the mask one over the other.
you can use the brush (black and white) to perfect it.
hope you understood...

thanx everyone (I'm the OP). I did the greyscale way but did think it came out well so thought maybe there was some other way that I forgot about LOL

goodluck

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:49 pm
webdesignmom I need your help desperately with something. could you please pm me if you are interested. I will pay you of course.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art