Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Poland okays forcible castration for pedophiles

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:20 pm
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/200.....heXNm

Go Poland!

Amital

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:58 pm
It's chemical castration, which according to wikipedia is taking drugs that are reversible and meant to lower libido. Still, it's definitely an interesting idea!

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:06 pm
I think some places do that here in the states ... but honestly I think the real deal should be done with all zex offenders ... beginning & end !!! Shooting Arrow

Atali

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:13 pm
Well my instinct would be to like the idea, the Torah expressly forbids castration for any reason.

However, perhaps chemical castration isn't included in the issur.

I would, however, support the death penalty for child rapists.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:18 pm
I dont know the halachos involved so I'm not giving a "torah" opinion, but chemical castration sounds perfectly fair.

su7kids

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 2:48 pm
I heard a report that pedophilia is not a "xual act" but a mental issue.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 2:50 pm
su7kids wrote:

that is so very unhelpful to their victims.

Carefulmom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 3:19 pm
Cheers Go Poland on this.

They deserve what they get.

Not only for the victims sake. How about the victims family?
Even the pedophiles family, believe me they suffer as well. I feel for them all.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 4:06 pm
What do they do to female pedophiles? I mean, not all males use their equipment for an assault... so why the castration? it's really the libido that needs to be killed, not the parts.

mimivan

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 2:30 pm
Amital wrote:
It's chemical castration, which according to wikipedia is taking drugs that are reversible and meant to lower libido. Still, it's definitely an interesting idea!

I wonder what rabbonim would think of this...traditional castration is assur but if it is reversible, chemical via drugs...etc...might be a good idea if kosher

also wasn't the main reason for the assur the mutilation of the organs? If there is no physical mutilation involved..perhaps it would remove the reason for the assur..

It would be interesting to talk to a rav about this...but I don't know if he would want to give his opinion unless he investigates all the facts involved...I doubt such legislation would be adopted in E Yisroels since the authorities unfortunatly can be lenient about these things...but it is such a growing problem, who knows?

Last edited by mimivan on Mon, Sep 28 2009, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

mimivan

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 2:37 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
What do they do to female pedophiles? I mean, not all males use their equipment for an assault... so why the castration? it's really the libido that needs to be killed, not the parts.

doesn't this "castration" lower the libido?

bubby

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 9:29 pm
They may have the inclination, but not the equipment. Great idea!

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 9:30 pm
bubby wrote:
They may have the inclination, but not the equipment. Great idea!

now that constitutes as torture. Twisted Evil

tomorrow

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 4:26 am
Israel does use chemical castration. I don't think that it's in every case and circumstance, but I know that it is used. Once the molester stops getting the monthly shots, the effects wear off.

Why don't these human rights people care about the human rights of a child not to be molested? I don't get that bit.

In so much as what to do with these people -- the perpetrators, that is -- I'm torn. Not that it matters, 'cause my opinion isn't going to change anything. Still, there's supposed to be an opportunity to do teshuvah, but underneath it, in instances where there is no doubt at all about it from any side that the person is muliply guilty, I'd be all for non-chemical castration. It also costs the system far less, doing it once and be done with it. The chemical business has to be kept up every month. There are all kinds of side effects that make it difficult to keep up long term. Who are we going to pay to track down these guys if they don't show up for their shot every month and drag them in?

mimivan

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 6:08 am
tomorrow wrote:
Israel does use chemical castration. I don't think that it's in every case and circumstance, but I know that it is used. Once the molester stops getting the monthly shots, the effects wear off.

Why don't these human rights people care about the human rights of a child not to be molested? I don't get that bit.

In so much as what to do with these people -- the perpetrators, that is -- I'm torn. Not that it matters, 'cause my opinion isn't going to change anything. Still, there's supposed to be an opportunity to do teshuvah, but underneath it, in instances where there is no doubt at all about it from any side that the person is muliply guilty, I'd be all for non-chemical castration. It also costs the system far less, doing it once and be done with it. The chemical business has to be kept up every month. There are all kinds of side effects that make it difficult to keep up long term. Who are we going to pay to track down these guys if they don't show up for their shot every month and drag them in?

according to Halacha, we can't even castrate (in the traditional sense) animals...

ora_43

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 6:28 am
chaylizi wrote:
su7kids wrote:

that is so very unhelpful to their victims.

And if it's accurate, it means chemical castration would be unhelpful as well. So it is relevant to the victims - the potential future victims, anyway.

Personally I don't think it's accurate. S-x crimes aren't only about s-x, but they aren't only about power or childhood issues or whatever else either - s-xual urges do seem to play a large part (based on the limited research that exists, anyway).

ora_43

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 6:33 am
tomorrow wrote:

I don't think anyone cares what happens to someone who raped a child. Even the most gung-ho human rights activists would be happy to see them just lined up and shot.

But there are serious implications as to what can be done to prisoners in general. "Chemical castration" has a variety of short- and long-term health effects (bad ones, naturally). Once you introduce something like that as a possible punishment you have to be very clear where the lines are.

And in many countries chemical castration might violate the law as currently written - of course the law can be changed to allow for this new punishment/treatment, but in the meantime I think it's good that people are concerned about a state violating its own laws, no matter how good the reason.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics