Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Anyone know anything about Yeshiva Darchei Torah?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 2:46 pm
We may be moving back to new york just after chanuka and are looking into sending our nine year old son to Darchei.
Does anyone know anything about it or have any recomendations for a similar school?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:18 pm
nobody?

sped

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:22 pm
What do you want to know about it?

sped

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:23 pm
What do you want to know about it?

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:33 pm
Good school. Rabbi Bender is special. Go see it & speak to staff, kids, & parents. I think you'll be impressed. AFAIK, it's not a strong Derech one way or another (I mean it's not Chassidish, just an orthodox right-wing boys' Bais Yaakov, a nice frum school.)

No, I don't live in Far Rockaway or sent my kids there, but I taught nearby.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 1:55 pm
I grew up and live in far rockaway. my oldest is still in preschool but so far, I am very happy with YDT. the preschool has around 300 kids alone and the classes are not small but the staff is very professional and on top of everything. teachers are great.
about the elementary school... I have heard that the english teachers are not all amazing (some may be) but the rebbeim are amazing. it is supposed to be a well paying school so they really have the cream of the crop rebbeim. one thing to keep in mind is that it is a community school so you will have a mix of kids. they do separate the classes and you can choose which class you want (I think).
if darchei is not for you, there is also yeshiva ketanan, which is slightly to the left of darchei (with a lot of overlap im sure) and there are more schools even more to the left. and siach yitzchak, which is more to the right (but according to reputation, does not have as good of an education).
if you have any more specific questions, please post. hope this helps.

Gsanmb

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 8:38 pm
Rabbi Bender is an incredible person. We moved away, but my son was in the preschool there and we would have kept him in YDT. As a large school, it can have the 'hefker' issues of large schools. However, the teachers/rebbeim and administrators really care about each kid and seem to know what is going on with the kids as well.

I cannot say enough about the school! We were quite happy there.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 10:13 pm
I like what I've heard about it. It would be high on the short list if I were in NY. That said, will you be in the area, or close by? Could be your son will be better off without the commute if there's a good school nearby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics