Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Halachos of chol hamoed
Previous  1  2

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 6:30 pm
If I cook or clean, I never wear good clothes!!!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 8:40 pm
merelyme wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Atali wrote:
Or it can be done really badly in such a manner that you will want to redo it after yom tov. Then it stops being maaseh uman according to what I learned.
So sewing something by hand that you'd ideally want done by machine is ok then if you need it on chol hamoed?

No, that would be assur. The only hetter is if you do a really bad job - so bad that you'd never wear it that way normally, and as soon as you can, you'll take it apart and redo it.

Sewing is really not supposed to be done.
It's often suggested to use safety pins to temporarily "mend", and then sew it for real after YT.

Atali

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 8:52 pm
merelyme wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Atali wrote:
Or it can be done really badly in such a manner that you will want to redo it after yom tov. Then it stops being maaseh uman according to what I learned.
So sewing something by hand that you'd ideally want done by machine is ok then if you need it on chol hamoed?

No, that would be assur. The only hetter is if you do a really bad job - so bad that you'd never wear it that way normally, and as soon as you can, you'll take it apart and redo it.

Right

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 3:45 am
Raisin wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
I believe that you are supposed to wear Shabbos clothes all week long. Also, I'm not sure if it's halacha or minhag but most people are noheg to have a meat meal at least once a day lichvod the chag. Eliyahu Kitov's Sefer HaToda'ah (Book of Our Heritage) is a GREAT book for learning about the whole yearly cycle. Every home should have it imo.

I am not sure how the wearing shabbos clothes every day for 9 days straight, no laundry, and cooking elaborate meals daily mesh!!!! Are you allowed to wear regular clothes to cook? (I hate robes)

I would imagine that you don't need to cook in Shabbos clothes. Around me I see that people go OUT in their Shabbos garb. I've been trying to do that too.

shosh

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 5:48 am
If a kid has wet the bed, is it ok to wash the stuff on Chol Hamoed? Surely it's worse leaving wet, smelly stuff to go mouldy ... Am I correct? Does anyone know?

mimivan

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 5:52 am
You may want to ask a Rav, Shosh, but I would think that you would be permitted to clean it to prevent a loss..

merelyme

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 5:56 am
shosh wrote:
If a kid has wet the bed, is it ok to wash the stuff on Chol Hamoed? Surely it's worse leaving wet, smelly stuff to go mouldy ... Am I correct? Does anyone know?

You can wash children's clothing, the question is till what age - 3? 5? I've heard that obviously if a child wets the bed linen, obviously that's included. I've heard an opposing opinion that it's not okay, and you should hang it to dry to prevent monetary loss (davar ha'aveid) and wash after yom tov. So ... ask your LOR.

mimivan

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 5:59 am
but if the child wet the bed, the mattress would also have to be cleaned...

merelyme

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 6:07 am
rubber/plastic sheets.

willow

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 7:37 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Raisin wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
I believe that you are supposed to wear Shabbos clothes all week long. Also, I'm not sure if it's halacha or minhag but most people are noheg to have a meat meal at least once a day lichvod the chag. Eliyahu Kitov's Sefer HaToda'ah (Book of Our Heritage) is a GREAT book for learning about the whole yearly cycle. Every home should have it imo.

I am not sure how the wearing shabbos clothes every day for 9 days straight, no laundry, and cooking elaborate meals daily mesh!!!! Are you allowed to wear regular clothes to cook? (I hate robes)

I would imagine that you don't need to cook in Shabbos clothes. Around me I see that people go OUT in their Shabbos garb. I've been trying to do that too.

I never heard that you HAVE to wear Shabbos clothes.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 8:22 am
chocolate moose wrote:
So why isn't typing considered "writing "?

I never studied this, but afaik typing is not considered writing because it isn't permanent. There are a lot of practical ramifications to this with regard to erasing psukim, etc. after typing them.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 10:10 am
how is typing anymore or less permanent than a computer printer ?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 2:57 pm
I took my kids to a carpentry workshop where they built stuff. is that really bad? is it like building?

I forgot that there are halachot of chol hamoed.

I was thinking about getting my kids one of those boxes that they can build stuff. is it not hallachikly ok?

can we do arts and crafts, like build kites, etc?

Atali

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
I took my kids to a carpentry workshop where they built stuff. is that really bad? is it like building?

I forgot that there are halachot of chol hamoed.

I was thinking about getting my kids one of those boxes that they can build stuff. is it not hallachikly ok?

can we do arts and crafts, like build kites, etc?

I would think that it is fine since it is tzorech lamoed in the same way that getting in your car and driving to an amusement park in mutar.

But ask your LOR.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Oct 06 2009, 6:02 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
how is typing anymore or less permanent than a computer printer ?

Because when you print something out it IS permanent?? I mean, you could white-out it, but that's more like writing than erasing. Even when you erase something you wrote in pencil it leaves a permanent mark in the paper. And the paper is an actual THING. This is a virtual medium exactly because it is virtual. I can erase what I type and no one knows.
That's what I think. Basically it's just a halachic distinction.

Mommy F.

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 5:53 pm
Are hair cuts allowed on chol hamoed?

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Oct 07 2009, 5:55 pm
no. nor is cutting nails either.

(except for mikva if needed)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions