Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Refrigerate/freezing homemade sauces/dressings

rosey

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 7:49 am
I'm brand new at this so any help will be appreciated!! I started making the sauces for chicken from recipes like honey chicken/sweet and sour chicken, but I always seem to have too much. I keep forgetting to halve the recipe! so I put the sauces in glass jars in the fridge. Could they last until the next shabbas? could I freeze them?
Also how long can homemade salad dressing last in the fridge? Dh says I worry to much about food going bad, so what's best thing to do?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 8:35 am
salad dressing--if it's mainly olive oil/vinegar kind of concoction I won't worry too much. It would be helpful if you can describe ingredients. BTW, if you regrigerate something with olive oil, the olive oil is likely solidify. You just take it out of the fridge and leave to room temperature and shake a bit.

chicken sauce--again, what is in it? Should be ok if it's like apricot jam, honey, wine, mustard, ketchup. They'll have shorter shelf life if it has raw chopped onion etc.

tanachit

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 8:47 am
I either use snack sized ziplock bags (in the USA), or designated ice cube trays (Israel)- for sauces. That way you can defrost what you need and not a whole jar. I freeze after about 48-72 hours in general.

rosey

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 9:03 am
thanks for the tips. both are basics, like you described, although the sweet/sour (maybe really bbq) has ketchup and brown sugar, and sauteed onion and garlic. is sugar a problem? (maybe not for one week refrigerated)

I like the snack bag idea...maybe will try that in the future

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 12:08 pm
no, sugar definitely won't shorten shelf life. If it has sauteed onion, 1wk in the fridge should be ok. Just make sure the jar is very clean.

rosey

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 1:15 pm
thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics