Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is volunteering worth it?

joy613

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 4:29 pm
I am not working now for various reasons, so I was thinking about doing something worthwile with my time such as volunteering for some organization. I'm just worried that I might find it too difficult and regret it. When I say difficult, I am not referring to the volunteering itself, rather to the effects on my life. The fact that I will not only be not recieving money but I will also be spending money; I will need to send my baby out to a babysitter, and the cost of travel (no car). I just wonder if it is worth it for me like would the high I get from doing chesed counteract the low I will feel from my shrinking wallet? -b/c I really think I will get a high from doing something like this. Or will I just say forget it this is not worth it..

obviously noone (including myself) knows how I will feel, but I am just curious if any of you ever did something like this and how it worked out..

- and yes I know that taking care of my own children is chesed too..dont worry, it would only be for a few hours.

Thanks in advance

hello

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 4:32 pm
you can try doing something local with your baby or do it once a week & have a friend watch her/him.

I visit an old lady once a week its local so it doesn't cost me a bit.

ps the feeling afterwards is worth every penny.

Rachie1

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 4:40 pm
If the childcare is an issue, perhaps you can volunteer for an organization that has things for you to do at home (like helping with mailings or making newsletters, etc.). This way you can do volunteer with while your child is napping perhaps. Also, maybe you can find something local to do so you can just walk there. There are probably many organizations in your area that you have never even heard of that would love an extra set of hands. It will probably take some internet research to find them, but it will be worth it!

I used to help in public school libraries -- a team of us would go in after school hours and help organize the library, put bar codes in books, etc. A public school library may look small, until you have to bar code all of the books! Then it becomes a daunting task!

louche

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:12 pm
Clearly you're looking for something worthwhile to get you out of the house and in the company of adults for a short while each week. You're entitled, and kudos to you for preferring a volunteer post to mah jongg.

A volunteer gig is neither a marriage nor indentured servitude. Go for it. If you find that it's not worthwhile to you for whatever the reason, you don't have to continue. That's the beauty of volunteer work over indentured servitude: you haven't signed a contract and have no requisite term of service. If it works for you, you can stay forever, and if not, not.

As for babysitting, you may be able to find a post to which you can bring your baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics