Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Who knows about Yeshiva Chanoch Lenaar - in Crown Heights?

energy11

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 3:49 pm
Hello all of you out there!!
Can anyone recommend Yeshiva Chanoch Lenaar in Crowns Heights?
Do you know anyone who learnt there?
Do you know if they are warm and caring and if the boys there are nice or do you have behavior problems?
Is it expensive? Overcrowded?
Any info would be greatly appreciated since I am seriously thinking of sending my 14 yo son.

Thanks again!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 3:53 pm
I fed those kids for 16 loooooong years. I liked them, but kinds from anash they weren't (usually). I don't know what kind of boys they get now.

energy11

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 4:21 pm
What do you mean?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 6:37 pm
what don't you understand ?

energy11

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 7:00 pm
what's anash?

malkie

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 7:35 pm
The boys in Chanoch Lanaar are not generally kids who grew up in Lubavitcher homes. Or they are kids who went off the derech, and are coming back.

energy11

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 9:17 pm
Thanks Malkie!
Do most of the boys end up Chabad thou? Is it one of the school's goals or not at all?
How successful is this progam?

mltjm

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 9:18 pm
My brother was there for a few months and hated it so he left. He wasn't off the derech, just behind on learning, but if I remember correctly, he was not happy at all with how he was treated. They would lock them out of th dorms to keep them in yeshiva, and then out of yeshiva to keep them in the dorms, and the whole yeshiva just had an air of distrust towards the boys. But this was a few years ago and it could have changed since then.

malkie

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 9:37 pm
energy11 wrote:
Thanks Malkie!
Do most of the boys end up Chabad thou? Is it one of the school's goals or not at all?
How successful is this progam?

I'm not sure how many end up Chabad, but I think it is one of the goals of the yeshiva. Many of the boys are mekurovim of Shluchim whose families' are becoming frum when the boy is already of middle school or high school age. They do have bochurim as dorm counselors/shluchim who try and impart a Lubavitcher derech in the boys. (I know someone who used to be a dorm counselor)

malkie

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 9:39 pm
If your son needs extra attention in learning, but not behavior/derech issues, and you can afford the tuition, I'd recommend Darchei Menachem over Chanoch Lanaar.

energy11

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 7:23 am
Thanks for the advice.
What is the difference in tuition of these 2 yeshivas and how d I find oout about Darchei Menachem?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 8:08 am
Yeshiva Darchei Menachem
Principal: Rabbi Eyal Bension
School Address: 823 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, NY, 11213
Mailing Address: 474 Malbone Apt 2
Brooklyn, NY, 11225
Phone: 718-953-2919

Yeshiva Chanoch Lenaar
principal: Rabbi Yaakov Bryski
876 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, NY 11213
Tel. 718-774-8456 Fax 718-493-2424
Founded 1975
9-12th

Darchei caters to kids who don't learn well in a regular class. It is a Lubavitch school, with whatever that implies. I don't know if they have a dorm or not, but tuition is high as I think the classes don't go over 10 boys and they have allot of staff to really cater to them.
I know a few boys who were considered "failures" in the regular system and did so well in Darchei.

Chanoch Lenaar doesn't have so many frum from birth, but they do have them. They also have a dorm, and tuition and dorm is probably about Darchei or a little more.

Both schools are in Crown Heights, set up by Lubavitch for Lubavitch, so anyone going there will have some influence, doesn't mean they would "become" Lubavitch. But they are Community schools and cater to such.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children