Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Indian food?
Previous  1  2

bubby

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 4:04 am
chocolate moose wrote:
yaeli83 wrote:
we try to make shabbos food themes every shabbos, and this week DH requested Indian food. I dont know anything about Indian food! But I thought it might be nice, also in honor of the victims of Mumbai.

does anyone have any recipes or ideas of what I can make. Its just me and DH and only for friday night.

thanks!

irc they were American.

For crying out loud.......!!! Mad Give it up already. Rolling Eyes

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 7:28 am
I mean it. I think it's an awful idea. The people of India are not our friends.

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 7:37 am
chocolate moose wrote:

that is complete nonsense. I may have issues with indian culture (dalits, widows, aborting female fetus') but Jews have lived in India for hundreds of years happily and peacefully.

100s of Indians died in the same terrorist attack. It's like blaming america for 9/11, and not eating apple pie and hot dogs anymore.

(don't confuse Pakistanis and Indians.)

sympa

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 2:38 pm
Nah, just change the name so it's no longer reminiscent of that culture.
"freedom fries"...

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Nov 21 2009, 2:54 pm
Raisin wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

that is complete nonsense. I may have issues with indian culture (dalits, widows, aborting female fetus') but Jews have lived in India for hundreds of years happily and peacefully.

100s of Indians died in the same terrorist attack. It's like blaming america for 9/11, and not eating apple pie and hot dogs anymore.

(don't confuse Pakistanis and Indians.)

Says you.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 4:16 am
chocolate moose wrote:
The people of India are not our friends.

Can you please elaborate? I wasn't aware of any specific anti-semitic movements in India. Do you know them very well or have you lived there?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 4:44 am
Choc, I'm back from one small month in India. I've never encountered so many people not knowing what a yid is, including the Muslims there. My dh was mistaken for a Muslim, a priest, everything except a Yid (because of the kippa).

As for those who knew Jews, they talked to us in Hebrew (some better than me!), asked us if we wanted the Bet Chabad or if we came from Tel aviv. They yelled "Jew power!" when we passed. The only bad thing we heard was asking us if we wouldn't give the beggars anything because we dressed like the jewish people and they never give anything.

In some places most shops and eateries are translated in Hebrew!

slightly edited to avoid bad feelings

WriterMom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 3:05 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Well, the State of India is one of the better friends the State of Israel has. Yes, there are grossly antisemitic Indians, but there were are and grossly antisemitic Russians, Arabs, and Germans, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't cook borscht, hummus, or coleslaw (to list some of the things we had at a Chabad shabbat dinner a couple of weeks ago.)

I've been to Chabad Chinese food buffets, too. I don't think it would have offended the Holtzbergs.

shosh

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 3:40 pm
Nuuuu!!!! I'm getting impatient over here! Where's my vindaloo recipe????

And why are you all still arguing about Indians and Chabad? Isn't this supposed to be a recipe section?

Come on ladies, let's stop throwing popadoms and chapatis at each other!!!!! You're making too much mess!

And now for another chorus of Vindaloo!!! Vindaloo!!! Music

And don't start a recipe thread for favourite kollel recipes/special food for geirim/food before intimacy/nosh for pple who accept benefits and gemachim/food for the inlaws/food for birth control

Otherwise you'll be fighting all night!!!!! Twisted Evil

bubby

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 3:45 pm
At least they're Indian Indians & not "Native American" Indians. Too close to National Turkey Day. Don't want to be politically incorrect...again! We're still paying for the one in the 1600's! Wink Wink

yaeli83

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 12:40 am
wow, didnt realize I started such a comotion with my thread topic over here.
well our indian food themed shabbos turned out nicely.
This week it will be either greek or japanese food. Ill try not write anything controversial if I ask for recipes this time LOL

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 4:53 am
Shosh, another chorus for Vindaloo! Now we've got packets of curry mix and marinades (I think it's called Asian Kitchen or something, made in Singapore) comes with the Federation hechsher. Depends on how HOT you want it but they're pretty good. Yes, you can get kosher sev poori and bombay mix now. Plus a bunch of Cofresh items now on the LBD list.

yaeli83, ok, you can do sushi, miso soup, and teriyaki stuff for Japanese. I think there used to be antisemitic literature in Japanese back in the 80s but seems like they've toned down and it's a freak one guy. (now let's not get into those bochrim in japanese prison stuff, laydeeez).

Greek--is that for pre-chanuka shabbat? Tzatzki can be done parve if you can get parve/soya plain yogurt. You can do giant butterbeans in tomato sauce, stuffed grapevines, thin coiled pasta, moussaka and lamb keftas and soup with lemony eggy thing (can't recall the name). Bimuelos and walnut cookies rock!

HooRYou

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 4:59 am
Mrs Bissli, do you have an authentic Greek recipe for the giant butterbeans in tomato sauce?

BTW,
Vindaloo, Vindaloo. We're all singing vindaloo, vidaloo...

bubby

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 5:54 am
Greek? The only thing I can think of is Moussaka. I think it has lamb in it, but I don't know what else they eat. Japanese should be easy, you can get a lot of things commercially prepared like rice noodles, miso soup/paste & of course, the ubiquitous sushi.

Glad your Indian was successful. Hope no one burned a tongue!

yaeli83

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 6:58 am
ha ha- thanks everyone.
looks like Japanese is defiantly the easier route. we like to change it up a bit... and we had chinese the other week, so I gotta make sure it doesnt turn into "asian"!
Im thinking sushi for the fish course... after that? who knows.. thanks for the suggestions!

bubby no one burnt a tounge BH!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:05 am
HooRYou wrote:
Mrs Bissli, do you have an authentic Greek recipe for the giant butterbeans in tomato sauce?

BTW,
Vindaloo, Vindaloo. We're all singing vindaloo, vidaloo...

Giant butterbeans--can't remember the exact name but something "gigante"
Soak 1cup giant butterbeans in water overnight. Tip the water, add soaked beans and 3x the amount of water and start cooking over a low heat for about 1-1.5hrs till it's aldente (not mushy soft) to the bite. DO NOT ADD SALT while cooking. I know some people add 1/2 teasp baking soda to the water before cooking.
Separately, sautee 1 chopped onion, 1-2 stalks of chopped celery (celery reduces gas), 1 chopped red or green peppers. Combine butterbeans, sauteed vegetables, 1tin of tomato sauce, salt & pepper, rosemary (optional) to taste to an oven-proof casserole. Add enough liquid from the beans to cover the beans. Cover loosely and bake for an hour or longer.

shosh

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 9:00 am
Couldn't resist it!!!! Wink

After all my singing "vindaloo," I decided to find a vindaloo recipe! I'm just not sure if or where you could get all the spices with a decent hechsher, but here goes:

Ingredients:

1 kg. diced chicken
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp. cardamom seeds
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
12 nos. whole cloves
1tbsp. chilli powder
4 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
2 tsp. ginger, fresh, minced
2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tsp. mustard powder
2 tsp. turmeric powder
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 cup vinegar, or cooking wine
4-6 tblsp vegetable oil
2 onions medium chopped
4 bay leaves
300 ml. water

Preparation:

Gently roast the dry spices from coriander seeds through to cumin seeds for about 5 minutes in a fry-pan on low heat.

Put these roasted spices in a blender along with mustard, turmeric, salt, garlic and the vinegar to form vindaloo sauce. Add little water if necessary.

Marinate the chicken in this vindaloo sauce for over 8 hours in a non-metallic bowl.

Heat oil and saute bay leaves and onions until soft. Remove and set aside.

Now fry the marinated chicken for a few minutes, adding more oil if necessary

Add the remaining vindaloo sauce, sauted onion, and water.

Simmer till the chicken is tender (stirring well) and the curry is thick. Add salt and chilli to suit your taste if necessary.

Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with steamed Basmati rice.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus