Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My Clumsy 18 month old

amother

Post Sat, Nov 28 2009, 10:48 pm
My 18 month old boy is a very clumsy baby. He is constantly tripping over things on the floor when they in his way instead of stepping over them.
At what point do I start being concerned that I should get him evaluated?
(The only reason why I'm nervous is that his older brother was diagnosed with dyspraxia (in english , clumsy that needs OT.) He was also tripping on things since he started walking until today.

Other people that I'm crazy and he's just a baby and let him be.

Anyone had such a little kid with OT for that?

louche

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 1:43 pm
First get his vision checked. Could be he doesn't avoid obstacles because he doesn't see them. I don't remember if children that age are expected to know to avoid obstacles and go around them or over them; possibly not. Also please remember he's only a toddler. They're called that because they aren't supposed to be expert walkers. How does his walking compare to other children the same age? Not that that's an absolute indicator, because there is a range of ages for normal development of each milestone. If he seems WAY out of line, ask your pediatrician.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 4:43 pm
DD started walking late - at 17 months. After that she was always tripping, falling & losing her balance if someone even slightly bumped into her. I had her evaluated at 2 yrs old. They sent me for a hearing test, just to be on the safe side, which came out fine. She then got PT, not OT. They helped her with her gross motor skills - running, jumping, balance etc. She stopped receiving PT when she was 5 & BH she is fine now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics