Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Anyone have info. on Bread Machines?

Chava Golar

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 9:33 am
Am looking to purchase a bread machine. This is the first place I'm "researching".
Does anyone have any information to share?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:12 am
I have a panasonic, can't remember the exact model but a large loaf setting takes about 6 cups of flour. I mostly use it for kneading/proving dough, as I shape and bake them in a regular oven. What I like about my model is that it has raisin/nut drop--handy if you're into raisin challah. Also mine has differnt setting for wholegrain, pizza dough, etc (don't use others). I don't use timer function much--you're not suposed to use timer when ingredient calls for raw eggs. The metal bucket with a kneading part comes out easily for easy clean-up.

preempservices

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:19 am
Ditto to Mrs. Bissli's post. Mine takes only 4 cups of flour, and I generally only use the dough setting to make challah dough. I then shape it and bake in the oven. I have made good pizza dough and fantastic WW or mostly WW bread in the past.

When I made bread (no eggs) I put ingredients in the night before and set a timer so we woke up to the smell of freshly baked bread.
What I learned the hard way - don't soak the pan. They are non-stick, but can get grungy where the blade is placed. I ruined a pan that way - the post came loose.
Good Luck.

abismommy

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 12:56 pm
Ditto for me too. I also have a panasonic - you can see mine here. I do use it for bread that I make most mornings for breakfast. Sometimes I make a quick challah dough - 6 1/2 cups of flour - ang get 3 smallish loaves.

frumshopper

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 3:43 pm
I have the Cuisinart CBK200(http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CBK-200-2-Pound-Convection-Automatic/dp/B0009VELTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1259699841&sr=1-1) and I have made Challah with up to 5 cups of flour. I would love to be able to make larger quantities of dough, so sometimes I make 2 batches (like for lots of company, YT, etc)

I strongly recommend looking at the warranty - I have had a number of bread machines over the years and the cheaper ones don't last. My last one had a lifetime guarantee, which was great (until the company stopped making bread machines) and helped replace the machine at one point and the pan at another point.

Good luck!

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 3:53 pm
I also have a panosonic, looks similar and sounds similar to abismommy and mrs bisslis. Its great for making small batches of challa, and bread. Mine is holding up pretty well, just clean it properly so you don't get gunk building up - if I try and bake in mine a horrible burning smell ensues. I can still make dough in it though.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 4:14 pm
I also have a panasanoic. It makes 2 1/2 lbs of bread - baked. I can make larger if I'm just doing the dough and not baking it.

I bake weekday bread in the machine and bake my challah in the oven, just use the machine for needing.

I don't have the raisin drop but mine does beep and pause if I want to put in raisins.

I also use it for a lot of WW doughs and for pizza dough.

It has the basic settings and that is it.

One thing I wished it had was that you can program your own settings. For example my dough always has to sit for a set number of time to get to the right temperature. Sometimes I wish I could just skip that step if my water is the correct temp.

I love the timer feature. I do use it with eggs because I don't think it sits out too long.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains