Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shabbos Menu for 4 for $20

Chava Golar

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 6:30 am
Hi Everyone,
I am relatively newly married and having a couple with their young son for shabbos.
I want to make nice stuff but I don't have alot to spend. My husband and I generally only have Challa, Soup, (Fri. nite) and Chulent (Shabbos Day). Can anyone suggest menus for about $20 (excluding Challah, Soup and Chulent)?

solo

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 7:02 am
hmm thats some challenge.
im guessing that budget doesnt include pantry staples like flour eggs, and ...
I think spend ur money on these two meal items:
1. 1 loaf frozen gefilte fish
that should be enough for both fri night and shabbat day.
2. 1 whole chicken.
serve the dark meat fri night (2 drum sticks, 2 thighs.) serve the white meat as cutlets, some grilled some breaded, for lunch.
u'll need the protein for fri night. and it would be nice to have an additional one for lunch as well.
all other dishes can be made using household staples and only a few small purchases. potatoe kugel, apple kugel, roasted veggies for fri night.
egg salad, fresh salads for lunch.
with a few purchased ingredients u can bake a cake for dessert and buy some fruit
that leaves you with $8 to spend as u like. drinks? condiments? snacks?

so ur menu'd look like this:
fri night: challah, fish, soup, chicken, potato kugel, roasted veggis.
shabbat day: challah, fish, egg salad, chulent, schnitzel, fresh salad, (pasta salad?)
u can serve cake and fruit for dessert at both meals. or make compote. or apple cobler.
when having guests its always nice to ask if there are any allergies or preferences. that is especially the case if there are small children involved.

Chava Golar

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 11:10 am
Thanks so much for you suggestions

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 12:02 pm
Pasta is very inexpensive, and kids like it!

Motheroftwins

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 12:32 pm
Make Rice....its very inexpensive

1 cup rice, 2 cup water. 2 tbsp onion soup mix, 1 tbsp soy sauce, splash of oil. cover and bake 1 hr at 400.

u can go to the butcher and get 8 slices of honey or smoked turket for around $2-3.

jello is not expensice at all, and you can serve it in individaul cups.

yerushalmi kugel is not expensive, the most expensive part is the egg noodles, and that is only $2.00 per bag

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 12:58 pm
you can do something like meatballs with chopped meat. Served with rice it is very nice. You don't need anything shabbos day apart from cholent, gefilta fish, and salads and kugels.

you can make yerushalmi kugel or any noodle kugel using spaghetti or angel hair pasta. Egg pasta is usually more expensive.

I think half a chicken is too little to allow for 4 adults - if one of your guests take 2 peices you or dh will be left with nothing. Either cook a whole chicken and serve no chicken shabbos day, or do something else.

newatthis

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:13 pm
Israeli salad , corn salad, baked sweet potatoes (cut in slices with olive oil and slices), and a garlic/or teryaki green beans are all yummy and inexpensive side dishes! So is yerushalmi kugel as per someone else's suggestion (my favorite and easies one is the one in kosher by design)

newatthis

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:14 pm
Noodles ar ealso a great idea and cheap!!!
I have a couple of recipes 1)sesame noodles 2)noodles with tomatoes and basil

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:15 pm
Dinner:
Soup

you can make roasted potatoes for night and a kugel for lunch - a bag of potatoes is cheap

Chicken pot pie (you can make it with chicken wings or a turkey wing that is from the soup)

If you want some other ideas for things you can make with chicken from the soup, just ask. I make things all the time with leftover chicken.

Rice
Salad

Make a cake for dessert

Lunch:
You already have Cholent
Chicken
Make kishka (it's easy and cheap)
Another kugel
Matzah farfel stuffing
Rice
Salad

bella123

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 5:13 am
WhereI live a chicken costs about 15 dollars Sad

solo

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 6:03 am
Raisin wrote:
you can do something like meatballs with chopped meat. Served with rice it is very nice. You don't need anything shabbos day apart from cholent, gefilta fish, and salads and kugels.

you can make yerushalmi kugel or any noodle kugel using spaghetti or angel hair pasta. Egg pasta is usually more expensive.

I think half a chicken is too little to allow for 4 adults - if one of your guests take 2 peices you or dh will be left with nothing. Either cook a whole chicken and serve no chicken shabbos day, or do something else.

raisin, the op said she and dh dont eat chicken fri night so its really only for her guests.
maybe im mistaken but I thought whole chickens round here were approx $6.

my rule for shabbat is good challah, good cholent, good dessert, and everyones happy.
if u bake ur own challah no one will notice what else u serve fri night.
either way hatzlacha and let us know how it goes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus