Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Birthday cake ideas (shape and decoration)

baba

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 6:13 am
Help.
I want to make a nice cake for my dd's birthday. I already have a very easy choc cake recipe, so that's not the problem. I just need some good ideas on how to make it a bit nicer, without going crazy. Like cutting it into a fun shape and using easy, fun icing.
Does anyone have any ideas or maybe sites they can refer me to?
Thanks!

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 6:23 am
www.wilton.com
www.baking911.com

cranberry

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 8:32 am
When my son was turning four he was very into his plastic Bob the Builder toys. I made a cake in a 9x13 pan and frosted it plain. Then I washed the plastic toys well, and placed them on top of the cake for a custom Bob the Builder cake. I probably wrote Happy Birthday on it as well, but I can't remember.

abismommy

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 9:31 am
I used to make some easy cakes for birthdays in school that didn't require much time. I found the website - www.coolestbirthdaycakes.com - that has a LOT of simple stuff. There's some more complicated ones too, but maybe you can find something you like.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 8:12 pm
A easy one is to cut the cake into the shape of the number & then decorate.

If you have experience decorating, check out the sites mentioned above. Otherwize, be prepared for a few hours of work.

estibesty

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 8:17 pm
go to youtube they have 1000s of videos how to make diff. funky cakes from juicy pocketbooks to a barbiedoll to a teddy bear

geemum

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 8:36 pm
cranberry wrote:
When my son was turning four he was very into his plastic Bob the Builder toys. I made a cake in a 9x13 pan and frosted it plain. Then I washed the plastic toys well, and placed them on top of the cake for a custom Bob the Builder cake. I probably wrote Happy Birthday on it as well, but I can't remember.

How clever!

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 8:39 pm
geemum wrote:
cranberry wrote:

How clever!

I did the same for regular construction. I also put brown sugar as "sand," candy lego blocks as building equipment, and candy rocks, as "rocks." I bought some construction trucks and cones, etc. It was very cute and VERY easy.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 7:11 am
I used marzipan once and it was really easy. I iced the cake green with icing that I made (you can probably buy ready made) and made marzipan trains and tracks. you could adapt this to almost any theme.

for a girl you can make a round half ball shaped cake (bake in a metal bowl) ice white or pink and put the top half of a barbie type doll in the middle.

baba

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:47 am
Thanks everyone, those sites were very helpful. I'm going to make a round cake and turn it into a lion face, with buttercream. Nothing crazy.

Marion

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:50 am
baba wrote:
Thanks everyone, those sites were very helpful. I'm going to make a round cake and turn it into a lion face, with buttercream. Nothing crazy.

I did that with a petal pan last year for DS#1. Bli neder I'll find a picture & post...but the idea was off the Wilton site, I just tweaked it a little.

baba

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:59 am
Ah, I'd like to see that!

Marion

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 10:03 am

baba

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 10:21 am
Oh wow, Marion, that's really nice. How did you get the main to look like that?

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 10:21 am
cranberry wrote:

For my son's second birthday, my sister in law made him this bob the builder cake.
This is so beyond me, I have no clue where to start when it comes to any kind of creative cooking or baking...

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 10:27 am
marion, can I please have your frosting recipe? looks great!

mums_the_word

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 3:37 pm
Marion, gorgeous cake!! I'm sure he loved it. The shape is so interesting, What sort of pan did you use?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins