Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Isn't it s-x of the baby, rather than gender?

Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 3:24 pm
According to a sociology textbook:
Quote:

S-x is the biological characteristics that distinguish males and females. Primary s-x characteristics consist of a private part or p*nis and other organs related to reproduction...
Gender, in contrast, is a social characteristic. Gender consists of whatever behaviors and attitudes a group considers proper for its males and females.

According to this, I would think that during pregnancy, parents would find out the s-x of the baby. Am I wrong, or are all the OPs of such threads wrong?

chaylizi

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 3:28 pm
They are probably just trying to get their point across without having to use the word s-x. You are right.

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 3:45 pm
Imamother has a filter that changes words. Try writing certain body parts and you will get the same thing.

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 3:49 pm
freidasima wrote:
Imamother has a filter that changes words. Try writing certain body parts and you will get the same thing.

Yup. I remember asking a question on imamother when I was pregnant and it came out as, "relations of the baby". Rolling Eyes

Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 4:02 pm
freidasima wrote:

It doesn't change "s-x" to "gender." It changes it to "relations." These OPs are writing the word "gender" there in the first place.

cm

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 5:06 pm
I have noticed in recent years that the word "gender" is being used as a euphamism for "s*x," and not just in the Jewish community.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 5:12 pm
I heard that gender means male or female, and s-x is more the act.

As a frum high school student, I took a course at the local college. The instructor explained how to fill out a form: name, s-x...and all the non jewish kids burst out snickering. I thought, what babies. Rolling Eyes

nicole81

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 5:20 pm
Fuchsia wrote:
According to a sociology textbook:
Quote:

S-x is the biological characteristics that distinguish males and females. Primary s-x characteristics consist of a private part or p*nis and other organs related to reproduction...
Gender, in contrast, is a social characteristic. Gender consists of whatever behaviors and attitudes a group considers proper for its males and females.

According to this, I would think that during pregnancy, parents would find out the s-x of the baby. Am I wrong, or are all the OPs of such threads wrong?

this is what I learned too, in psychology and health classes.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 5:29 pm
People write "gender" in their posts, because they don't want the filter to change the word "s-x" to relations.
Gender is still better than relations. "Do you find out the relations of your baby?" Lol!

sympa

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 6:18 pm
Fuchsia wrote:
freidasima wrote:

It doesn't change "s-x" to "gender." It changes it to "relations." These OPs are writing the word "gender" there in the first place.

Last edited by sympa on Sun, Oct 18 2020, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 7:41 pm
gender is a more aidel word to use, that's all. Sx as you know means other things besides for gender, so it's not that aidel a word to use.

cookiecutter

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 8:48 pm
According to a book that I was just reading but cannot locate right now, s_x is thecorrect word, gender originally referred to words, in languages that differentiate between men and women. But the victorians, who apparently were uptight long before we were, adapted the word gender to avoid using s_x.

louche

Post Fri, Dec 04 2009, 12:29 pm
Fuchsia wrote:
freidasima wrote:

Because they know the system changes s*x to relations and they don't mean they want to find out the baby's relations. They already know the baby's relations, at least the closest ones. They want to find out if it's a girl or a boy. Don't be so ruddy pedantic, yeesh!

Fuchsia

Post Fri, Dec 04 2009, 12:44 pm
louche wrote:
Fuchsia wrote:
freidasima wrote:

Because they know the system changes s*x to relations and they don't mean they want to find out the baby's relations. They already know the baby's relations, at least the closest ones. They want to find out if it's a girl or a boy. Don't be so ruddy pedantic, yeesh!

I don't see what's pedantic about asking what the right word is. Why weren't our words changed to relations? Because we spelled it s-x or some form of that. So they would rather use a wrong word than have to change that e to a dash?

Mama Bear, I don't see how words can be interchanged like that just to suit your comfort zone needs. If I were suddenly uncomfortable with the word sink, would I start calling it a countertop?

Anyway, I just wanted to know why everyone is using the wrong word, and I guess I got my answer.

Rodent

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 7:31 am
It bugs me when people use gender when they are referring to s e x also. While I'm at it, it annoys me that s e x is changed to relations on here anyway. S e x is s e x whatever you call it. It's not a profanity and 'relations' gives me the heeby jeebies.

sequoia

Post Sat, Dec 05 2009, 12:20 pm
Yup. "Gender" refers to social characteristics. It also refers to grammar, like Russian is a gendered language because nouns are male, female, or neuter.

S-x is the correct word for biological characteristics.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics