Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pesach--bottles, sterilizer, breastpump & pacifiers?

Yida_in_Hoboken

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 1:22 pm
Do you have to get all new for pesach? Can I use my breast pump? How about pacifiers, bottles (just used expressed breast milk in them ONLY)? What's the halacha on this? Thanks!

girliesmommy

Post Sat, Apr 08 2006, 12:35 pm
I bought new pacifiers and bottles. I don't know about the pump... I dont use mine very often so I can manage a week without it.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Apr 08 2006, 4:23 pm
I can only tell you that our rav says new pacifiers & new bottles. The parts to the breastpump can be kashered by cleaning well and boiling them in a pan of water. (Askenazi Litvish rov) I also only use for breast milk.

Frumom

Post Sat, Apr 08 2006, 5:16 pm
wow, I didnt even think to find that out- thanks for posting!

BlumaG

Post Sat, Apr 08 2006, 9:22 pm
a couple yrs ago I had a 4 month old on pesach and bought a bottle and had new inserts for the breastpump, it came with xtra replacements I kept clean. I didnt end up having ot use it bh though

ILOVELIFE

Post Sat, Apr 08 2006, 10:09 pm
interesting bout the breast pump --breast milk isn't chometz-why wld it need to be kashered?! Confused

elisecohen

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 7:03 am
I'd get new passifiers only if the baby is on chometzdike food already--ie, I wouldn't for a 3 month old but would for a toddler. New bottles, etc, yes, as they're around the chometz table, counters, sink, etc. during the year. If it's a burden, though, and they haven't been used for real chometz I'd definitely ask a shailoh and explain the burden--there may be a lot of leniency.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 4:32 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
interesting bout the breast pump --breast milk isn't chometz-why wld it need to be kashered?! Confused

Because you've washed it up around chometz sink, other utensils etc

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 4:35 pm
This is definately an individual sheila. I have never bought new parts for my breastpump or kashered the one I have. I wash it up in the bathroom sink during Pesach if I use it.

queen

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 5:41 pm
Quote:
I bought new pacifiers

not every rov holds that new pacifyers are necessary.
AYLOR

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 6:34 pm
I was told if it's been washed with chometz:
if not too expensive, get new
if expensive, boil is water
last year I got some replacement parts for my pump for about $10 or something - good to have, just in case. (don't think you need to get a whole new pump!)
bottles and pacies -- usually washed with chometz and aren't expensive,so I got new. This year,though, my baby barely takes pacifiers. and the types he does take,I don't think I'll be able to get exact type. So I hope to "kasher" it.

Frumom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 7:01 pm
I'm wondering, I use the Aven isis pump. I've washed all the pieces in our regular sink during the year. Does that mean I have to buy a new one for Pesach?? Would boiling the pieces ruin it?

BlumaG

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 7:33 pm
diddnt urs come with replacement parts, mine did>

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 7:34 pm
replacement parts shouldn't be too expensive, no?
ask your rov...!!!

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 7:37 pm
For an Isis you'd have to buy a whole new pump. I'd ask your LOR if you can just wash in a chometz sink.

Yida_in_Hoboken

Post Tue, Apr 11 2006, 7:46 am
Thanks for all the information! I guess we are off to Target to buy some pacifiers, I will try to hand express (yikes!) for a week if I have to be away from the baby, since I too have the Isis and it didn't come with replacement parts.
Have a happy & kosher Pesach everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen