Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Dessert Ideas for Rosh Hashana

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 11:10 am
I don't make desserts often, but of course I'd like to make something special for yom tov. Any ideas of a quick-to-make dessert that seems "special" and is good enough for company?

I don't want just a cake or cookies. I'm thinking more of a pie, or some sort of creamy dessert. I don't mind if it's extremely unhealthy - after all, I make desserts so seldom anyway. Any ideas?

scb88

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 11:35 am
Apple Turnovers with Ice Cream?

Fruit Salad with Pomegranates?

Sunken Honey Apple Tart with Ice Cream?

pinktichel

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 11:42 am
streusel stuffed apples from one of the KBD. Easy, nice, and delicious warm with ice cream.

apple purses from quick and kosher (I think)

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 11:43 am
Thanks scb. I'm actually already using puff pastry for a sort of deli roll thing for the main meal, so I'd like to stay away from that (although both of the recipes that I'm assuming use puff pastry sound really good). And I'd kind of like something a bit "more" than fruit salad, especially as I'm having males over, not females Wink

Any other ideas, though?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 11:44 am
pinktichel wrote:
streusel stuffed apples from one of the KBD. Easy, nice, and delicious warm with ice cream.

Are the first ones like baked apples? What's the streusel?
(And are the apple purses in puffed pastry, hm, maybe I should change my regular menu and just go with the puff pastry for dessert...)

pinktichel

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 11:49 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
pinktichel wrote:

Are the first ones like baked apples? What's the streusel?
(And are the apple purses in puffed pastry, hm, maybe I should change my regular menu and just go with the puff pastry for dessert...)

It's been a yr since I made the streusel ones... I think it's like a margarine, sugar crunch that you fill the inside with. Maybe drizzle honey?

apple purses are in puff pastry

stargazer

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 2:13 pm
I am making sorbet ruffles (from KBD entertains) - easy, looks pretty, and can be made in advance. I will also have cake and cookies on the side.

goodheart

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 2:49 pm
strawberry short cake ,oreo ice cream pie, choc. moose
these r very easy if u want any recipe pm me!

chaylizi

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 2:53 pm
I have a great choc mousse recipe. my mother makes it for sheva brachos & it is always a raving hit. bit of a patchke, but sooo worth it imho.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 3:24 pm
My friend Shoshana's Open Fruit Tart -- use apples, berries, plums, whatever you like:

Crust:

1 C white flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C sugar
pinch salt
10-11 T cooking oil
1 egg white (save the yolk)
1 t vanilla

Mix together gently with hands and put in freezer for 15 minutes.

Grease 2 glass pie plates with margarine. Press crust into plates with heel of hand, and brush with egg yolk plus a few drops of water. Bake at 400 for 5-7 minutes.

Filling:

Fruit, brown sugar and vanilla to taste, lemon juice. Mix, put in cooled crusts. (You can layer the peeled apple slices to look pretty in circles.) Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.

golddigger

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 9:50 pm
chayazili can I please have your mom's chocolate mousse recipe?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 11:08 pm
I just made an ice cream from the pupa(green)cookbook that looks really good and not so hard at all.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 5:57 am
bashindas choc torte is easy and quick and pretty fancy. you can bake it in a graham cracker crust if you like and top with fruit.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 4:10 pm
I know its after Rosh Hashana - but here is a recipe in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future

Here is a simple and flavorful recipe for Pomegranate - Apple Salad (original recipe is pom-pear but I switched it for rosh hashana to be pom-apple)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/S......aspx
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics