Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Cake decorating

Roses4me

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 9:08 am
Anyone do cake decorating? where did u learn? Are there any good books out there for those of us who don't have a course nearby?

there's so much on the internet, I have no clue whats good!

thanks!

Ilovechoumous

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 9:33 am
I did a wilton cake decorating course. it was held in a friend's home. I think if you get enough people, then a wilton rep will come. in raanana, they run the courses regularly, I think.
you can always ask someone to show you the basics.

basically, learning to use fondant will make any cake look great. you can make them into any colours and shapes. as does piping. there are different courses. learning the basics you can then learn anything on line, like piping rosettes, etc.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 9:51 am
wilton magazines have step by step instructions ...

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 10:48 am
Yup, I'm mostly self-taught, and having a mom who did it when I was growing up might have influenced me a little. When I couldn't figure out the flowers I did take a course (also Wilton), and after that the instructions made so much more sense! The Wilton website has a few short how-to clips, and of course their printed material is good too. There are other sites as well (baking911.com comes to mind), but most of those you have to join.

lilacdreams

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:17 pm
Cakecentral.com
excellent site with mini tutorials, and forums where you can ask people how they do it. Huge galleries also to inspire you. I have copied many cakes from there.

Roses4me

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 5:46 am
thanks everyone. I live in Europe so want to find something I can order to here or online.

with fondant - do you make it or buy it ready-made? Don't know if I could get it kosher here...

would love to learn tips for the cream icing...just made a birthday cake for ds and it was a disaster..bc baby woke up and cried just when I'd mixed the icing, and the writing was a bit too much..didn't fit well..

will have a look at the suggestions so far above

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 6:01 am
I make my own. I thought I'd found a good place to buy it (I will NOT use RFM!), but it came in too big a block. (I thought it came in 10x1kg packages, it came as a 10kg block.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics