Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is My Baby Delayed?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 11:03 pm
DD is 8 months old & just started crawling "army style", & veeeeery slowly. She doesn't sit well yet either (loses her balance or just throws herself back) & doesn't use a pincer grasp yet (she can't pick up a cheerio). She is extremely content BH but I'm wondering how I can tell if she might be a bit delayed physically?

Sorry I'm anonymous but I'm embarrassed, iknow a few ppl here...

Classicookie

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 11:12 pm
sounds a bit like my dd 8 moths but no kind or crawling but she can sit. she can not do the pincer grip also but cant get it in her moth any other way so I need to feed her the chrioos or puffs. she also has her toung out of her moth most of the time and I want to be on the safe side so I am getting her evluated for ot pt whichever one it is to help strathen her leg and tummy mussels.

Hodu Lashem

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 11:12 pm
Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to get her evaluated by early intervention. Do you live in NY? Just call Yeled V'yalda or one of those agencies. Even if she is not delayed enough for therapy, the therapists can give you good advice/suggestions to implement on your own.

Hope that helps!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 3:49 am
I definitely agree with getting him checked out, even if all it does is calm your own worries. If it makes you feel better my baby was a preemie and is about 8 months adjusted and 10.5 real age. He just started properly crawling and sitting and has nothing near a pincher grasp. When the PT told he was age appropriate in gross motor skills I asked real or adjusted age and he said both.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 3:52 am
my oldest didn't start crawling till around then or after and sitting at 10 mths.
She is currently jumping around in front of me doing somethign she calls dance with her ipod in her ears. Tongue Out (she's in her teens now btw)

Marz613

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 4:19 am
she does not sound delayed at all! I wouldnt worry, and just give her some time. she will catch up!

Metukah

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 6:02 am
ds is 8 months, not really sitting and definately not crawling, dr. didn't seem worried at all. He seems a very bright child (says aba, waves bye bye) and is very content. I have 2 nephews born at the same time, both don't sit or crawl (although one is almost crawling)
It really doesn't sound worrying at all.
If at 9 months he's not sitting, then, maybe , you should get him checked out.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:15 am
Probably a slight delay. I wouldn't rush to evaluate her now. Just keep an eye out and see if she is moving along or not. If she isn't sitting or crawling in a couple of months, then an evaluation may be a good idea.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 8:23 am
I would get her evaluated for your peace of mind--bc even if she doesn't qualify for therapy, they sometimes will give you tips or exercises to do to help things along.

The main thing is if she is progressing, even if it is slower, are her skills developing? It can be hard at this age to know if it is a delay (ie.s omething to be "fixed" or improved) or just that the baby develops a bit slower but still normally. Anyways, that's why an eval from an expert can help--to know the difference.

Kumphort

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:55 am
I would hold off on having her evaluated, I had my now 3 year old evaluated at prob. 9 - 11 months, because he wasnt crawling, not even getting on knees etc, and he didnt qualify, they have to be a certain amount delayed before they will qualify for services, and then I think you cant do another eval for 6 months,

The important things to see is if you hold your baby standing up, does support her weight, does she put her full foot down? did your doc mention anything about low muscle tone?
Work with her on sitting etc, to build her muscles

My 7 months old is at the same place as your child, so I wouldnt be too concerened

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 11:02 am
I would mention these concerns tot the pediatrician- he should know what else to look out for to determine whether there are other issues you haven't noticed, or if the baby's physically fine and just a little laid back.

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 11:06 am
I would mention it to the pediatrician, but not be too concerned if s/he's doing well in everything else.

My first baby did an army crawl till 10 months, sat around 8.5-9 months. She then proceeded to walk at 11 months. B"H she's doing great.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 11:08 am
Dd is eight months and doesn't crawl yet either. She just slides backwards until she reaches a wall. What I suggest is-
for pincer grasp, keep putting foods like cheerios and small pieces of corn pops on her tray and let her keep practicing
for crawling-keep encouraging tummy time. You can practice the crawling position with her by putting her chest on your leg and let her play like that on the floor.

Lilkingdom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 11:22 am
She's not delayed at all. There's no exact timeline for crawling or sitting or anything. Each infant to its own. As a matter of fact she's very well on track. My ds is 8 months old and just started sitting up on all 4 in crawling position and tries to crawl. He succeeds at times but not always.
My daughter couldnt balance when sitting until 12 months. But she crawled by 8. Perfectly normal! Relax.

Lilkingdom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 11:22 am
delete. Double Post

MommytoB

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 2:51 pm
If you are worried, do an evaluation. We did our first at 22 months and that was very late.

But, 8 months for army crawling is not delayed. Since kids sleep on backs, all milestones are hit later these days then back a few decades ago.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 10:52 am
Thanks...I think I'll give her another 2 months with loads of tummy time I hope things will shape up! How do I encourage her to sit herself?

Lilkingdom, our babies are 2 days apart! (If the ticker on the bottom of your post is correct!) DD is 8 months & 14 days now BH!

Capitalchick

Post Sat, Jan 02 2010, 7:54 pm
I think if you want to encourage her to sit up, just sit her up and sit behind her and hold her up with one hand on her back. The more practice she has sitting like that, the easier it will be to sit. Just an idea!!

I know it's so hard not to get worried, but it sounds like your little one is fine!

My baby is 9.5 months old. She JUST started crawling about 2.5 weeks ago. She can pick stuff up pincer grasp (as of last week), but she does not put the stuff in her mouth.
Also, she has absolutely NO ability to eat anything but pureed foods. I just started giving her the meltable puffs, and that's about the only thing she can handle.

I think they'll both be just fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics