Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Dessert ideas - no fruit, not mezonos??
Previous  1  2

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 6:17 pm
I second the above mentioned torte- it's delicious and easy!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 6:54 pm
Creme caramel
3/4 cup sugar (or I cheat and use 2tbsp kal kugel mixed with 4tbsp dark brown sugar) for caramel
6 eggs
6tbsp sugar
Grated rind of 1 orange
1 tsp vanilla extract
2cup soy milk, warmed

You'll need a 1 litre mould that can sit in a foil baking pan (used for a bain marie). Preheat the oven to 200C. Heat sugar for caramel in a small saucepan till it's golden brown. Take off from heat, pour at the bottom of the mould while still hot. Whisk the eggs and sugar together. Add the rind, vanilla extract, soya milk and mix. Pour the egg mixture over the caramel. Place the mould on the foil pan, and pour hot water to the baking pan (to about 1-2 inch deep). Bake for 40-45min. Allow to cool, carefully loosen the edge and invert into a deep serving dish.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 7:02 pm
what about something nutty ?

de_goldy

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 10:05 pm
rice crispie treats?
meringues drizzled with chocolate?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 14 2010, 9:50 am
sarahd wrote:
A challenge for all you creative cooks out there! Very Happy

We have a guest coming for Shabbos who doesn't like to eat fruit for dessert because it upsets his stomach (neither raw nor cooked.) My dh prefers that I not serve mezonos for dessert because of sfaikos regarding brochos. I've made an orange-pineapple custard a few times when he came (made of juice, not fruit) but my kids are getting tired of it. Anyone have an idea for me? It can't be anything too sweet either, because said guest is borderline diabetic. Also, no raw eggs, so ice cream/mousse is out.
Meringues.

freidasima

Post Thu, Jan 14 2010, 10:02 am
Sarahd here's the recipie.

six eggs, separated, room temp.
6 heaping tablespoons of buckwheat flour
1 large teaspoon baking powder
three heaping tablespoons sugar.

Beat egg whites, slowly add sugar and make a snow. Take three egg yolks from the separated eggs, add some of the snow/sugar to them, beat to lighten and then fold into the snow. Take the buckwheat flour and baking powder and gently, tablespoon by tablespoon, fold into the snow. Place in greased baking pans (spray with pam) and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool.

Meanwhile take two cups soy milk and two cups water and mix. Add three heaping tablespoons sugar. Put in pot and bring to a boil.

In a cup take 1/2 c of soy milk and add three really heaping tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix until blended and dissolved. Add a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and mix. When the soymilk and water in the saucepan begin to reach a gentle boil (actually no such thing, it rises wildly, you can't turn your back on it for 5 seconds at that stage!) pour in the soymilk/vanilla/cornstarch mixture and stir. The mixture in the pan should thicken immediately. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly and cook for three minutes. Turn off flame, remove pan to a different burner and let cool for an hour.

When cool (er) take off the top of the pudding (it thickens) and eat on the spot, standing up in the kitchen (remember food that you eat standing up has no calories, alternatively it goes directly to your ankles giving you fat feet!) it's delicious!

Then, when you have made sure it really IS delicious pour the rest on the top of the now cooled cake.
Let stand in the kitchen on the counter for another half hour or so.

Cover with aluminum foil and put in fridge. You can also divide into two smaller pans and make two cakes out of this and freeze one, the pudding freezes and defrosts just fine.

Bon Appetite!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 14 2010, 10:04 am
didn't she say nothing sweet; guest is borderline diabetic ?

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 12:11 am
Choc mousse cake (shehakol)

13 egg whites
2 cups sugar
2 pkg. ground nuts

Whip eggs, slowly add sugar, when at stiff peaks, fold in nuts.

Place in 2 10" round pans Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven Bake about 25-30 minutes (till tooth pick inserted comes out clean

13 yolks
10 oz chocolate chips
1.5 c oil
2 cups sugar

Mix yolks with sugar, Melt chips with oil in a double broiler, Fold chocolate into the egg mix

Remove cakes from oven, pour chocolate mousse evenly over two cakes, put back into the oven, and bake additional 20 minutes

To make it fancier you can do it in muffin tins. You need to watch them VERY carefully if you do this, because it bakes in about 5 minutes this way. Mix the Mousse before placing the bottom in the oven

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 1:23 am
in that case - I'll just have another piece of potatoe kugel - please Mr. Green

sarahd

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 7:07 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
didn't she say nothing sweet; guest is borderline diabetic ?

Nothing too sweet, but he can have some sugar. The creme caramel is out, but fs' cake might be in, if I can find buckwheat flour somewhere. Anyhow, I was going to go with sorbet but forgot to put it on my shopping list, so I made pineapple cream and it flopped (I made a 1.5 recipe but doubled the cornstarch instead) so I served chocolate instead.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics