Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
He doesn't tell me when he needs to go....

bigbird

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 9:15 pm
Does this mean he is not ready? He has great control and will hold himself in until he literally can't hold it back anymore. If I think he needs to go I will just put him on the toilet and he will make. Otherwise if I ask him if he needs to go he just says no. But he will tell me if he needs to make poo unless he is wearing a diaper (if he's in bed) when he will just poo in his diaper.

So if he's wearing a diaper he'll make in there. If he's wearing undies he will hold it in until I take him and won't tell me he needs to go even if I ask him. This has been going on for 4 weeks already. He is 2 and a half. I don't really want to put him back in a diaper full time because I don't want to have to start all over again in a few months (he was scared at the beginning). On the other hand, am I wasting my time now...??

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 10:26 pm
I don't think it necessarily means he's not ready. Does he have accidents if you just take him regularly (even though he claims he doesn't need to go)? If you aren't too frustrated by accidents, I would just keep taking him on whatever schedule works. It saves diapers at least! He does tell you about poop if he isn't wearing a diaper; that's a start. Maybe he will start telling you about pee, too. If you just tell him to go (not ask), can he/would he take himself to the bathroom, if you are at home and he's not dressed in anything too difficult?

My son is the opposite right now, he will not go if I have anything to do with suggesting or asking that he go, but will only go if it is his idea and he can put himself on the toilet or potty and doesn't need help undressing.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:13 pm
my son did that. it took a couple of weeks until he shyly said "mommy I needa make". until then, I had just been catching the looks and dances and taking him.
he still does not tell his morahs, but when all the children go to the bathroom after lunch, he goes as well.
hatzlacha

pecan

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:23 pm
It doesn't mean he's not ready. Most likely, he's just too busy doing more "important" stuff. Take him every so often.

bigbird

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 7:40 pm
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm glad you didn't tell me to stop altogether. I just need the encouragement to keep trying. So thank you! Hope to reply soon that we're getting somewhere...!

malkie

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 8:30 pm
My son doesn't tell me he needs to go either. At home, he goes bottomless because he is 23 months and can't pull on and off pants or underwear by himself. We have a potty seat for the toilet and a potty in my bedroom where he plays most of the time. When he needs to make, he just goes. If I see him dancing, or if we are getting ready to go out, I tell him to go make on the potty. When we are out, I just take him to the bathroom often. If we are at someone else's house and I ask him if he needs to make, he usually just tells me no, and sometimes refuses to make, so usually I use a Pull-up when spending the day (I.e. Shabbos afternoon) at a friend's house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training