Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Quantities (for seuda)

yedidya's mom

Post Sat, Feb 13 2010, 10:37 pm
We are having a very large purim seuda this year- we will probably be 30 adults plus another 15 or so kids under 10.
im trying to be very organized so im starting to cook ahead and freeze.
im just having an issue w. quantities- ive never had this big a meal so im trying to figure out how much of everything I need to feed this many ppl.
specifically im curious abt- ground meat for meatballs, how many lbs of turkey breast (the boneless ones ) and how many lbs of potatoes for roasted potatoes? any help in figuring this out would be gretly appreciated

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 13 2010, 11:13 pm
Quantities of each food really depend on how many dishes you will have.
I also wanted to point out that less food is consumed at our family Purim Seuda than any other Seuda, since the kids (and some adults) have been noshing all day.
(Btw, what time will you be hosting your Seuda? Our Seuda is late in the day.)

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 1:20 am
I made my son's birthday party Tuesday night. All I served was a package of wings (maybe 15 pcs?) and 1lb meatballs. I was only intending to feed the kids (8 of them, all 5 or under), but some adults got in on the act too.

My usual estimate:
4 meatballs/person
1 chicken part/person

How many breasts will depend what you're doing with it? 1lb. makes enough stir fry for 4-6 people, but is only enough straight "meat" for 2.

Same with potatoes. Roasted? Mashed?

est

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 2:32 pm
I find that people tend to eat a lot of challa and first course after not having eaten properly all day, but are then quite full and don't eat much of the main course. If your guests are likely to drink a lot of wine they really won't have an apetite, but be sure to have a lot of water on the table. Happy cooking.

elmos

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 4:06 am
rally depends on the timing of your seudah and if you are doing multiple courses etc. but other wise meatballs containing 5-6lbs ground beef stretched with eggs and breadcrumbs or the like should do it. I find you are better shaping thm smaller rather than to large to allow people to eat variety and waste less. Also I reccomend serving rice or pasta with it not just potatoes.

Mrs.K

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 4:23 am
I agree with other posters in that you should estimate how many meatballs you want to serve per person based on whether it will be a main, a side, or a first course.

I regularly host very large purim seudas with people coming and going and crashing for hours. Last year I served rice and meatballs as a first course, and then gave a plate to all the newcomers, stragglers, etc. I estimated 5 meatballs per person, 50 people, a few more so as not to be stranded, and that was that.

yedidya's mom

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 9:02 pm
thanks for all the replies. the meatballs are for first course and I am going to be serving them w. rice.
I keep trying to think how much I make when I serve our usual shabbos meal which is usually 10-12 ppl and then multiplying by 3.
the numbers everyone mentions sounds about right to me. Im planning on cooking ahead and freezing starting iyh tomorrow. happy cooking!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics