Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Buying a dSLR

busydev

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 5:28 pm
My husband is interested in buying a dSLR. right now he owns a SLR but we would love to go digital. I am more of the point and shoot type of person- but he wants this type of camera.
he likes taking pictures of all sorts of things....

We want to spend no more then $400 and plan on buying a used one from ebay or something similar.
What brands are good/better? We want it for nature, landmark, people, kids etc pics (basically all types)

what questions should we ask the seller?

Is there anything we should be aware of in particular?

busydev

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 5:43 pm
Some more info:

He said we dont need the greatest one- more of a beginner quality is just fine.
He wants a lens that can go to 80mm.
We are ok with used.

Is it ok to get a body and then get lenses seperate- it seems to be slightly cheaper.
can lenses from his SLR workon a dSLR?

and our price range is 0-$400 .

TIA

shiradye

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 5:53 pm
We bought a used Nikon D40 last year & we are very happy with it. Just it looks and is heavy like a tank! DH takes stunning shots with it. I don't even remember how much we paid for it. Try B&H online. At the time, it was considered the top-of-the-line amateur camera, the one before pro. Now, I think there is a D60.

But Nikon has always been second fiddle to Canon. OTOH Canon costs more and for our purposes, it doesn't make any difference.

Zahava

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 6:04 pm
Any entry level DSLR that you'll buy today is great. Each company has a slight advantage over the other in a different area. Overall you can't go wrong with any of them, but think long term. Canon and Nikon are the most versatile being that they have the biggest line of accessories, especially lenses. If you will want to buy more lenses at some point you're better off with one of the two abovementioned companies so that you have more options.

There are some companies where the same lenses can be used for SLR or DSLR, and some companies where only certain lenses can be used for both. Which camera do you now have?

Good luck in whatever you choose and remember to post pictures!

MommyZ

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 6:44 pm
I have the Canon Rebel XTi and love it Smile.

busydev

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 12:17 pm
ok thanks so far.
we currently have a nikon SLR. its a n75
in your experiance should those lenses be useable on a dSLR?

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 12:34 pm
We have the Nikon D3000, which is the newer version of the D40. We're really liking it so far.

I couldn't decide between this one and the same type in the Canon. The sales clerk said that since they're alike in quality and most features, I have to try both, play around and hold both, and see which one I feel more comfortable with.

Zahava

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 2:26 pm
busydev wrote:
ok thanks so far.
we currently have a nikon SLR. its a n75
in your experiance should those lenses be useable on a dSLR?

I don't have experience with Nikon. You should check it out with an electronics store before you buy.

chayitty

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 12:38 am
nikon lenses will only work on nikon cameras..not sure if an slr lens will work o a dslr (not sure y it shouldnt) but if it deos thats great becuz the lenses r what end up costing the most (cuz u always want more!) tech. nikon and canon are equal in quality. You have to hold each camera in your hand and test it and see if you like the feel of it! I bought a backup camera at b&h used dep...I dvise you to go there rather then ebay

Simple1

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 10:18 am
I have used a film lens on a dslr, so it does work but maybe it's not ideal because it wasn't made for dslr's.
When buying a camera, it really depends on what you'll be needing it for. For example, casual snapshooter might be overpaying for a real pro camera if he's not knoweldgeable in how to use all the extra features.
Generally the more expensive cameras and lenses give you more abilitiy to get sharper pictures in low light situations - and that's only if you know how to adjust your settings. And even a compact camera can easily get you nice pictures in very good lighting conditions.

sandwich

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 2:40 pm
I have the Canon digital rebel xsi
I upgraded it from the Canon eos digital rebel
if anyone is interested in it it is for sale

micki

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 3:41 pm
check this page out, especially the graph on the bottom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D40

busydev

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 3:46 pm
Thanks everyone for all your help. we got a N60 from b&h. works perfect and Dh is VERY VERY excited and happy with it. (I am also happy with it, but he is VERY excited and loves his new toy)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art