Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
GREAT recipe...using leftover cholent-NO ONE WILL EVER GUESS

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 11:15 am
Ok, so here's the deal: We used to have Taco night on Monday nights when I was a kid. It was the talk of the block. My mother used to buy taco shells, have individual serving bowls of shredded lettuce, cut up tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers. But the BEST part was her amazing bean dip. We all devoured it...and the neighbors would come for the leftovers...if there was any! The way my mother makes her bean dip is by putting all the leftover cholent in the food processor and process it until it was smooth and creamy. She usually added Frank's Red Hot, since we all love spicy food. I'm telling you, you have GOT to try this one!!

prettyone

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 11:20 am
sounds really good but I psychologically cant eat cholent after shabbos lunch. I dont know why. Maybe my husband will like it though.....

louche

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 11:47 am
I add leftover cholent to leftover soup and serve thick & hearty bean soup.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 11:48 am
Does she also grind up the meat in the cholent? Do you serve it heated up or wouldn't fat congeal otherwise? It kinda makes sense though--beans and grains with onions what nots.

We usually convert leftover cholent into bean-and-barley soup (ta-da!) but am tempted to try the bean dip. Thanks for the idea.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 11:55 am
prettyone wrote:
sounds really good but I psychologically cant eat cholent after shabbos lunch. I dont know why. Maybe my husband will like it though.....

I have the same problem. I actually have an aversion to left overs in general, but cholent specifically even much more so. But next time I find myself w/ leftover cholent I'll give it a try. I wont be able to fool myself, but maybe my husband or kids will enjoy. Thanks for the tip!

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 12:39 pm
Quote:
Does she also grind up the meat in the cholent? Do you serve it heated up or wouldn't fat congeal otherwise? It kinda makes sense though--beans and grains with onions what nots.

Yeah, she just throws it all in the food processor and grinds it up together. She does heat it up, though. You c an either do that before or after you grind it - no difference in taste...although it may be easier to heat it before you grind it.

Aribenj

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 4:59 pm
But if you put the beed in the food processor, doesn't it get a grainy texture? almost like crumbly liver?
I did that with my cholent last week and tried to make a soup, but the texture was terrible. I tried doing the same with the chicken and it was even worse!

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 6:12 am
Quote:
But if you put the beed in the food processor, doesn't it get a grainy texture? almost like crumbly liver?
[quote]

I'm assuming by beed, you meant beef? I never had a problem with it, since it's mixed in with everything else, but maybe you can try adding some water and see if that does the trick? Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus