Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Looking for meat tzimmes recipe

rnidich

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 2:54 pm
Does anyone have a yummy thick meaty tzimmes recipe? My aunt used to make one for rosh hashanah and pesach., but every time I try her recipe, it comes out soupy and flavorless... chaval she's not around to ask anymore...

shaynaladle

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 12:15 am
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but this recipe was passed to me by some friends a few years back. I've only made it a couple of times but it's always nice. (I also don't always follow recipes to the letter so mine may have differed slightly. Still, tasty!)

This also happens to be suitable for Pesach. Hope it helps!

Beef Tzimmes with Butternut Squash (Pesach)

1 kg bonesless lean beef chuck, trimmed of fat (beef goulash is ok)
2 tbsp. oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds
1 tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper (white works)
2 to 2 1/2 cups water
1 kg butternut squash
2-3 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups prunes, pitted and cut in half
juice of 1 large orange

Cut beef into 1 1/2 to 2-inch pieces and pat dry. Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a heavy stew pan. Add the beef cubes in 2 batches, browning each lightly on all sides over medium-high heat and removing browned meat with a slotted spoon to a plate.

Add remaining oil and heat it. Add onion and saute over medium-heat until brown, stirring often. Return meat to the pan, along with any juices on the plate. Add carrots, salt and a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper and enough water to just cover the meat and vegetables. Bring to a boil, skimming fat off the top occasionally. Cover and simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until beef is tender.

Peel the squash and cut into half lengthwise. Remove seeds from cavity and cut squash into 1-inch cubes. Add honey, orange juice, cinnamon and squash to the stew, pushing the squash pieces into the liquid. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add prunes and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve hot.

Last edited by shaynaladle on Wed, Mar 17 2010, 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

rnidich

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 5:47 pm
sounds good- I think I'll try it, but with sweet potato instead of squash.

Thanks!

shaynaladle

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 7:18 pm
Glad to help Smile

And that's the spirit! Experiment away Very Happy (Though it's not such a stretch from squash to sweet potato.) If you remember, let me know how it turns out!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus