Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
20" long for a 2week old bb

amother

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 3:58 pm
Was at the doc today. weight 7.4 long 20". My mom told me 20inches at this age and stage is a bit longer than average.
What do YOU think??

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 4:01 pm
My kids are born at 21 inches so 20 is normal-many kids are born that long.

In the kitchen

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 4:02 pm
My baby was born 21.5 inches long...he was a long guy, still is! If yours is like mine then be ready for him to be wearing size 2 at one year old! Smile Enjoy!

Fabulous

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 4:05 pm
I was also born at about 20 or 21 inches. I don't think that's very long at all. 23 inches is prob long.

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 4:05 pm
Next time ask the doc what percentile that is...

amother

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 4:12 pm
She's a girl, mayb boys are longer than girls.......

I did ask the doc he said its normal. I'm not concerned at ALL. She was born at 19"long 6.7 weight! grew an inch in 2 weeks and almost a lb. Her parents arent very tall so I wished to hear that YES she IS long and is going to be a tall girl Very Happy Very Happy (she has quite long fingers) is that a hint? lol

Liba

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 4:20 pm
http://www.medcalc.com/growth/

You can plot it here yourself. She is close to the 50% for height, just below actually, so no worries about her being super tall.

One of my daughters was born at 20" long, so even though her weight was low she never fit into the preemie clothing that her slightly heaver sister wore. It is a good height, but not something to worry about.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 4:22 pm
My big girl was 9lbs and 22 inches at birth...90th percentile for height.

Now she is almost 4 and is more in the 70th for height and 50th for weight.

Rodent

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 6:30 pm
I was going to say average too.

My friend just had a 23 1/2" baby (huge weight also). That is long!

sky

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 6:42 pm
My oldest was 22 3/4 inches long and weighed 10 lbs 15 oz and change when born. And he just kept on growing. (3 weeks = 24 1/4 inches, 2 1/2 months = 26 1/4 inches) He was huge. It was such a joke. Now he is starting to even out.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 6:57 pm
Why on earth is that long???? babies less than 19 inches are SMALL!!!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 7:05 pm
In the kitchen wrote:
My baby was born 21.5 inches long...he was a long guy, still is! If yours is like mine then be ready for him to be wearing size 2 at one year old! Smile Enjoy!

Try size 3T at a year old Wink . My son was about 22 inches at birth, your baby sounds quite average. Now my daughter, on the other hand, was 16 inches LOL. Yup, she's still short.

In the kitchen

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 9:20 pm
Wow! 3T at one year old! Kanaina hora. I thought my guy was a tall one, but 3T at 12 months. Smile

chaylizi

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 9:44 pm
I was 21 inches at birth.

Of my 3 kids, not a single one of them was 20". They are considered really short newborns. First was 19", second 18" & third 19.75.

micki

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 10:24 pm
mine was 22" at birth.

20" is small, but thats ok- she is a girl.

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 12:13 am
I'm surprised. When I read the title of the thread, I thought it was a post about one being concerned that the child's too short. Most of the kids in my immediate family were 20+ inches at birth.

realeez

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
She's a girl, mayb boys are longer than girls.......

I did ask the doc he said its normal. I'm not concerned at ALL. She was born at 19"long 6.7 weight! grew an inch in 2 weeks and almost a lb. Her parents arent very tall so I wished to hear that YES she IS long and is going to be a tall girl Very Happy Very Happy (she has quite long fingers) is that a hint? lol

I don't think there's any way to predict based on a 2-week old how tall she will be! Neither my dh or I are tall and my babies all started off well above average but by the time they turned around 3 years old dropped down into lower percentiles. Feel good though that your baby is gaining weight nicely since that is a great gain since they lose from their birth weight too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics