Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby almost a year - not crawling, how to help him?

amother

Post Sat, Apr 10 2010, 11:17 pm
My DS who's almost a year moves around a lot, rolls, turns himself around, pushes himself back, and sits up beautifully. The only thing is - he's not crawling. Should I be concerned about his development, or let him develop at his own pace? He spends a lot of time on the floor. Should I bring him to an occupational therapist? Any suggestions of how I can help teach him to crawl? What would you recommend in this situation?

flowerpower

Post Sat, Apr 10 2010, 11:29 pm
Do you put him on his stomach? What does he do there? You can practice twice a day for a few minutes(if possible) to place him in a crawling position and hold him like that while he plays with something. That might help.

nature

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:07 am
I am by no means an expert on PT or OT, however, I have a neice and a nephew who crawled only after a year or scooted on their tush in order to crawl and the Therapist mentioned how they may need help in developing some area and that later it may manifest itself in small ways, eg, less balance or low muscle tone. Regardless, it never hurts to check it out. you will either be relieved it's nothing or get the help needed.

sa613

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:13 am
You should consult with a PT.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:16 am
Dd scoots on her tush and I want her to crawl normaly. I just made an appt for a pt eval.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:25 am
Elchanan is now a year.

He Army crawls all over the place. He rarely turns tummy to back. I think he's rolled back to tummy... twice. He doesn't get into a seated position by himself but if he's sat down, he'll stay put. He's only now starting to get down from a seated position but he does it by almost doing a split and lowering his body down. He doesn't stand on his own or pull himself up to stand.

Since he's not meeting his milestones, his doctor and I have been on top of things. The paperwork was submitted in February to get him evaluated for PT and he was supposed to have it today but the therapist just called me, her daughter is sick so we need to reschedule. Hopefully it will either be later this week or next week.

You know there's an issue. You know he'll most likely need therapy. If you need confirmation, take him to the pediatrician. But please get things moving (no pun intended).

shevi82

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 3:15 am
We went for therapy and one of the exercises I was told to do with dd:
take a hat box (or a stool), first lift the baby over the box do it a few times until she learns to do it by herself.

israel22

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 4:35 am
my baby has the same problem he is also now a year old and he swims everywhere, and we spoke to a few people and they all said don't wait it can effect his development in certain areas so we spoke to an ot and he is curretnly seeing her and she said its good we did not wait and hopefully with a few sessions we can teach him these things and we will be on the right track. one of the things that can be not good if they dont' crawl is handwritting belive it or not and I figured I don't have the best handwritting so we shud give him his a chance Wink

amother

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 1:11 pm
OP here - thank you for all your good suggestions. I took your advice and called the Infants and Toddlers to request an evaluation. He moves a lot and pushes himself and rolls around very fast but I agree, it's not on age level. Thank you again!

TrendE

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 7:47 pm
Call your pediatrician and see what they say. I doubt your child needs therapy but maybe your dr will have some good sugestions

MrsMom

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 8:05 pm
Crawling is not a developmental milestone! Many skip right to walking.

Boys"R"Us

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:00 am
MrsMom wrote:

Hey, that's exactly what I was going to say!

pina colada

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:21 am
Boys"R"Us wrote:
MrsMom wrote:

Hey, that's exactly what I was going to say!

Many experts feel differently. Crawling is important for brain development, the activity of coordinating the hand/arm and leg movements. Crawling is important for strengthening the muscles in the hand which later on is important for handwriting. Crawling may also strenthens the neck muscles, the child being on all fours, and keeping his head up.

So yes, some children do skip the crawling milestone and go right to walking or scooting on their bottoms, but crawling provides important input.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics