Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Star Trek- an (semi) official thread
Previous  1  2

tovasmom

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 8:17 pm
Well isn't the whole Borg idea that the Borg assimilate the strengths of the cultures that they take over into the strength of the "collective". On some level, isn't that a violent iteration of the whole idea of the US as a Melting Pot? Just a thought.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 8:53 pm
yea-thats what I was trying to say-thanks!!!

KAlex

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 5:27 am
Interesting. From the other side of the Atlantic, I never thought of the Federation as America.

Zus

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 7:08 am
Huh? How can you not think of the Federation as America? That's the most obvious thing in the world!

KAlex

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 9:27 am
Zus wrote:
Huh? How can you not think of the Federation as America? That's the most obvious thing in the world!

Why?

Zus

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 2:28 pm
United Federation of Planets, United States of America...
Both with a president...
Both wanting to rule the world and think they do, and think they have the highest moral standards...
Really obvious.

jmw

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 3:12 pm
Hate to be a "downer" about this topic, but about the T.V. show(and I was never a trekkie I just learned some stuff about it ), facts are as folllows: Leonard Nimoy, who played Mr. Spock is Jewish. He got the idea for the greeting he used from Birchas Kohanim (four fingers, 2 separated together). He has said so in interviews.
William Shatner (also Jewish) played captain kirk, but I don't think his character did anything objectionable as far as Yiddishkeit is concerned. On a slightly humurous note, as a child my mother practically raised us on DR. Benjamin Spock's book, "Baby and Child Care". I would picture him as a guy with strange, pointy ears, very un-doctor-like. LOL

MrsDash

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 3:40 pm
jmw wrote:
Hate to be a "downer" about this topic, but about the T.V. show(and I was never a trekkie I just learned some stuff about it ), facts are as folllows: Leonard Nimoy, who played Mr. Spock is Jewish. He got the idea for the greeting he used from Birchas Kohanim (four fingers, 2 separated together). He has said so in interviews.
William Shatner (also Jewish) played captain kirk, but I don't think his character did anything objectionable as far as Yiddishkeit is concerned. On a slightly humurous note, as a child my mother practically raised us on DR. Benjamin Spock's book, "Baby and Child Care". I would picture him as a guy with strange, pointy ears, very un-doctor-like. LOL

More embarrassing, I used to think he was Spock from Star Trek! Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 5:16 pm
jmw---just to let you know, you werent being a downer. nothing you said is 'news' to any trek fans. That is all common knowledge
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics