Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What time do you go to sleep with a newborn in the house?

When is your bedtime when you're nursing a newborn?
Before 7:00  
 0%  [ 0 ]
7-9  
 3%  [ 1 ]
9-10  
 11%  [ 3 ]
10-11  
 23%  [ 6 ]
11-12  
 42%  [ 11 ]
After midnight  
 19%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

amother

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:08 am
Just wondering...

This will be my second, and I'm already nervous about the sleep deprivation. But dh doesn't get home until around 7, then is dinnertime, then is my toddler's bedtime, and then dh goes out to learn. so when am I ever supposed to spend time with him? Usually our "us time" is after maariv, at like 10:30. But I can't imagine staying up that late if my newborn is up every two hours and I'm going to have to get up in the morning with my toddler.

(Can't nap, as I work from home, and really need to work during any downtime from the two kids.)

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:11 am
Some things will just have to give. If you have a choice between hanging out with your husband while your eyes are threatening to close on you all day or to sleep then so you can function, you do what you have to do and just keep in mind that it's only temporary.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:18 am
What time does your toddler go to sleep.
My schedule sounds similar to yours. When ds #2 was born I started putting ds #1 to sleep earlier - so he was asleep before dh came home.

gold21

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:23 am
the newborn stage is difficult for stay at home moms, so obviously if youre a working mom, its that much harder.. but it passes. before you know it, you'll be spending lots of time with your husband and you wont be so tired anymore IY"H...(until the next newborn IY"H, LOL) good luck!!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:49 am
sky wrote:
What time does your toddler go to sleep.
My schedule sounds similar to yours. When ds #2 was born I started putting ds #1 to sleep earlier - so he was asleep before dh came home.

Right, but then my toddler will never see his father, except for a bit at breakfast time? And on weekends? He goes to sleep around 8:30 right now, and dh LOVES that. It gives him some time with ds before bedtime.

I know, I know, something's got to give. And he'll start going to sleep earlier at SOME point. But I've been trying really hard to push that time off.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:52 am
gold21 wrote:
the newborn stage is difficult for stay at home moms, so obviously if youre a working mom, its that much harder.. but it passes. before you know it, you'll be spending lots of time with your husband and you wont be so tired anymore IY"H...(until the next newborn IY"H, LOL) good luck!!

True, but I know that I was sleep deprived with ds until he was at least four months old. Four months is a long time to go without having much alone time with your husband! And dh is in kollel, which means it's not like we're spending any more time together on Sundays. And he's out learning Shabbos afternoon and Motzai Shabbos. Completely not complaining about that, I guess I'm just really used to having that hour or so at night for us to spend some time together. And remembering last time...I'd just like to find some way to make it work a bit better. Hm.

imaima

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:06 am
my dh sometimes gives up praying in minyan and learning in order to keep me sane and help me with kids. but that's just him. maybe it's wrong..

sky

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:17 am
I know. I now have 3 and they only see dh at breakfast and on weekends. I need my evenings (I also work from home and now work at night as well). I also needed my sleep and some down time to myself. If you want to keep your son up then your going to have to share that time with him or stay up later. Something has to give.
My oldest only started going to sleep at a normal toddler age when #2 was born.
Also, what about if dh goes to sleep at 10:30 right when he comes home this way you can settle into bed together and shmooze then.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:59 am
The newborn stage is hard but it passes fast. Dh comes home every night like ten thirty-eleven oclock. That is when our night starts...You don't have to spend hours having some quality time, a few minutes of nice talk is good enough. Sleep is important.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 11:01 am
I went when I felt like. But I could also get up when I felt like it and dh brought me the baby...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics