Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Where to buy furniture -- OOT

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 10:20 am
Due to a flood I need to replace furniture in my basement bedrooms. I am not looking for expensive furniture, nor for Ikea type that needs assembly (insurance is paying for it at a reasonable dollar value), but not something totally junky either.

I am not in the NY/NJ area, so I need suggestions of national type stores. It is many years since I've purchased any kind of furniture, so I am rather clueless as to where to start.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

busydev

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 5:44 pm
I dunno if you would want to use the services of teh Chicago Chesed Fund furniture Gmach- but they have stuff- tho its a matter of coming at the right time. you need to be approved by rabbi Fuerst tho.
Also there is the Ark thrift shop- second hand. its cheap second hand stuff. I think anyone can go there

I reread your post and see $ isnt the issue.
maybe try a furniture store like walter e smithe. you can google furniture stores in chicago... for bedrooms you can try matress stores (american matress, matress gaint etc.) they sell beds frames as well. and dont forget to bargain down the prices. in real furniture stores you dont have to pay listed price you know... (unlike say a dept store)

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 5:52 pm
I guess I wasn't clear enough. Money isn't particularly an issue as the insurance is paying for it as long as it is similar quality (some of the original was high quality solid wood, though 40 years old, some was not solid wood and 18 years old).

And, I don't need mattresses, only dressers, nightstands, etc.

I can certainly Google furniture stores and know some names around here, but I was looking for people who had experience and could suggest places that were worth looking at.

Thanks.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 5:56 pm
If you post what region of the country you live in, ppl might have more specific suggestions. I know many stores that fit the bill, but they are exclusive to certain areas/states.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 5:59 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
If you post what region of the country you live in, ppl might have more specific suggestions. I know many stores that fit the bill, but they are exclusive to certain areas/states.

Chicago.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 6:16 pm
Have you tried Dania? Ive heard good things about the quality and price.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 6:26 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Have you tried Dania? Ive heard good things about the quality and price.

Just took a look at their website -- I'll probably check out their local store. Thanks.

Annie

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 8:06 pm
Dania has good stuff. If you like modern/contemporary type furniture the Domestic Furniture OUtlet (or something like it) is right behind Lowe's in Lincolnwood and has pretty nice furniture. We have had great luck at Carson's furniture. It's reasonably priced and decent quality -- it's in Edens Plaza in Wilmette. Macy's also has decent furniture, but I think only the downtown store.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 8:11 pm
Annie wrote:
Dania has good stuff. If you like modern/contemporary type furniture the Domestic Furniture OUtlet (or something like it) is right behind Lowe's in Lincolnwood and has pretty nice furniture. We have had great luck at Carson's furniture. It's reasonably priced and decent quality -- it's in Edens Plaza in Wilmette. Macy's also has decent furniture, but I think only the downtown store.

Thank you. I've noted all the places you've mentioned. Now I've just got to wait for the final dollar settlement from the insurance as well as to finish the reconstruction phase.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 8:14 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

Chicago.

sorry- can't help you there Smile good luck!

cfriedman2

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 9:18 pm
Try Ashley Homestore- they have them all over so I am assuming that there is one in Chicago- we got lots of stuff from there and are very happy with it..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics