Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Water challah from podrigals in brooklyn

skinny

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 3:11 pm
does a/b have a recipie thats similar light inside very crispy outside?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 4:39 pm
it;'s prob. steamed, not baked.

skinny

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 4:59 pm
how?

Butterfly

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 5:14 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
it;'s prob. steamed, not baked.

It's gotta be baked, AFAIK.

Challos baked in commercial ovens, may differ in texture, than Challos baked in home ovens.

My Challos usually come out very soft inside and crispy outside, B"H.

No I don't own a commercial oven.. (yet..)Wink

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 9:14 pm
3 C flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 C oil
1 1/4 C Water
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp dry yeast

take 3/4 cup of water and add yeast and sugar till it bubbles

Add all dry ingredients make a well and and add wet ingredients knead by hand (or in a machine if you have one)

If mixture is too dry slowly add remaining water till it gets to the right consistency.
Yeilds one medium challah. I usually quintuple the recipe and get 6 loaves.

I usually cover the top with a mix of oil and sugar, . It gives the crunch a nice taste. I do not use eggs because of allergies, You can use an egg and sugar if you want the top to be shiny.

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. I bake in medium sized oval pans.

Yeilds one medium challah. I usually quintuple the recipe and get 6 loaves.

Butterfly

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 9:29 pm
Remember to separate a piece of the dough and say the Bracha of Lehafrish Challah..
During that time is a good time to pray, as well, just like during candle-lighting for Shabbas..

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 9:32 pm
my boss owns a share in a bakery and says that the water chalos (from them, at least) are steamed. you can't do this at home.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 9:35 pm
one should only separate challah if they are using the right amount of flour. when you take challah, whether you take challah at all, whether you say a bracha and how you dispose of it is all something one should learn before baking challah if one wants to be correct in how the mitzvah is done or not.

there are also different rules for chutz laretz and in the aretz, so do not assume that the same rules apply to everyone.

Butterfly

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 9:58 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
one should only separate challah if they are using the right amount of flour. when you take challah, whether you take challah at all, whether you say a bracha and how you dispose of it is all something one should learn before baking challah if one wants to be correct in how the mitzvah is done or not.

there are also different rules for chutz laretz and in the aretz, so do not assume that the same rules apply to everyone.

I don't know all the rules, but I've been taught that one must separate Challah, regardless of the amount of flour. To make the Bracha there must be a certain amount of flour, though.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 10:07 pm
there are wide variations in practice of this mitzvah. I do not separate challah with dough under a certain amount. it goes without saying that you should do what you have been taught to do, and that people should be educated properly in the practice of this mitzvah regardless of exactly how they do it.

I am in no way commenting on what or how anyone should do this mitzvah- as I mentioned, there are huge variations in how people do it (I have made a special study of it and am aware of numerous variations that are all completely valid) however, it is not as simple as taking dough and saying a bracha, and people should be aware of the details before doing it. this is in no way meant to be a suggestion to anyone who is already doing this mitzvah, having learned it from someone knowledgeable, and is only intended as a comment for those who have not yet done this mitzvah and are not aware of how to do it.

cytlgr

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 3:17 pm
Regarding a crunchy crust, it's possible you can try this trick, which I've seen in a recipe for french bread. Right before you put the challah into the oven, throw a cup of water onto the bottom of the oven. It will create a lot of steam which will make the bread crusty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads