Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Fellow imamother NEEDS our help!!!

melsg

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 10:14 am
A fellow imamother is in need of all the support she can get as she struggles with an immigration issue. She and her husband have been married since Feb 2009 they are still not living together due to the immigration issues, and in a good month are lucky to spend two weekends together!

Please join this facebook "fan page" to show support and solidarity.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Being-Reunited-Would-Feel-So-Good/122907121060371 (Sorry for just pasting the link, I couldn't get the hyperlink to work)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll be sure to get the answers to you. I'm not sure if the woman will want to reveal herself at this point.

bubby

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 11:31 am
I hope she has a good lawyer. It's rough. Good luck...I don't have FB so I can't join in.

Strudel

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 12:22 pm
Good luck to her though I don't see why moving from Canada to the US can be so complex. You just apply for the Green Card, wait, play nice at your interview, wait some more, and you get the card.

Not sure why they didn't just do that in the first place.

Mommy F.

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 12:26 pm
good luck

mrsERK

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 4:59 pm
Strudel wrote:
Good luck to her though I don't see why moving from Canada to the US can be so complex. You just apply for the Green Card, wait, play nice at your interview, wait some more, and you get the card.

Not sure why they didn't just do that in the first place.

While I dont understand either, I'm assuming that there is something more complicated going on!

But good luck to them!!

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 6:09 pm
you can read the entire story on their facebook page.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 6:16 pm
I also don't know the details, but I had friends who were mamesh deported b/c they could not get citizenship as Canadian citizens - and he was a doctor !!!

montrealmommy

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 5:57 pm
Having been through the process, let me say it's not so black and white coming from Canada to the US - and it's quite naive to think that applying for a green card and playing nice at the interview will suffice.

That said. I know this imamother and they are following all the proper routes, dotting "I"'s and crossing "t"'s. It's an awful situation.

Please show your support. They are good people who are doing all they can within the confines of the american (legal) immigration system.

Strudel

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 9:36 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
Having been through the process, let me say it's not so black and white coming from Canada to the US - and it's quite naive to think that applying for a green card and playing nice at the interview will suffice.

That said. I know this imamother and they are following all the proper routes, dotting "I"'s and crossing "t"'s. It's an awful situation.

Please show your support. They are good people who are doing all they can within the confines of the american (legal) immigration system.

Ya think when you come from Europe to the US they role out a red carpet and a band play as you land? No.
This Imamother didn't have all the correct documents when she applied for a visa (not a Green Card- she only just applied for that). Its a govt agency, they won't help you and won't bend the rules for anyone. The best thing to do is hire a good immigration lawyer who will make sure you have all the documents you need. Thousands get Green Cards each year. Its stressful and time consuming, but not impossible if you do it 100% correctly.
It's not like they're refusing her a Green Card or visa because she's from Canada, and you can't blame the govt if you make mistakes on their forms!

montrealmommy

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:37 pm
Strudel - noone said role out a red carpet or bend the rule s- I don't know where you are getting your details or what your bias is. I did have an immigration lawyer (the best I could afford) and it still took 2 years, lost documents (the gov't fault), documents expiring before the next one was received (also gov't fault), lots of $$ and even more frustration.

But it's nice to someone has all the answers.

Strudel

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:48 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
Strudel - noone said role out a red carpet or bend the rule s- I don't know where you are getting your details or what your bias is. I did have an immigration lawyer (the best I could afford) and it still took 2 years, lost documents (the gov't fault), documents expiring before the next one was received (also gov't fault), lots of $$ and even more frustration.

But it's nice to someone has all the answers.

I wasn't replying to you- but the Imamother in the Op's post. If you read her blog or FB page you'll understand more.
There's no bias, I just can't understand how some people feel entitiled. What, she from Canada, didn't have the correct paperwork, but she should still get in, just because she wants?

I have friends from S America, Israel, Europe and yes Canada who have been granted Green Cards over the past 6 years. Some had huge issues, made mistakes on the forms and very nearly got deported. Not funny, but they sorted it out, and didn't go about asking people for money to help them, which is what this Imamother wants.

melsg

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 11:29 pm
Strudel wrote:

I wasn't replying to you- but the Imamother in the Op's post. If you read her blog or FB page you'll understand more.
There's no bias, I just can't understand how some people feel entitiled. What, she from Canada, didn't have the correct paperwork, but she should still get in, just because she wants?

I have friends from S America, Israel, Europe and yes Canada who have been granted Green Cards over the past 6 years. Some had huge issues, made mistakes on the forms and very nearly got deported. Not funny, but they sorted it out, and didn't go about asking people for money to help them, which is what this Imamother wants.

The imamother in question did her due diligence as she was told. She had the information requested of her and made efforts to get things straightened out when wrongs occurred. I am 99% sure she also sought legal advice. If you re-read the information, you will see that.
Also, she did not start the FB or this post. Both were done by others who have sympathy for the situation and as good, giving, caring, Jews - want to help a fellow frum family in need. It is your choice on how you want to support them, no one is forcing you to do anything. Those who read the story and feel moved to do something, be it just give a message of encouragement or donate time or money to help them, will do so of their own accord.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 11:58 pm
I read all the discussion topics on the FB page and I fail to see where she did anythign wrong? they followed all the protocols and were made to wait forever for no reason?...

Strudel

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 12:29 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I read all the discussion topics on the FB page and I fail to see where she did anythign wrong? they followed all the protocols and were made to wait forever for no reason?...

If you read one of the later updates, you'll see the visas were refused because of a missing document.
The US govt don't care when , why etc, if you don't have what they demand , you'll be refused. Its an awful system, but get everything 100% correct (this is where a lawyer comes in handy. No posts mentioned that she's retained one) and you'll get there in the end. As I said before, thousands go through this process evey year and get Green Cards (though this Imamother didn't apply for a Green Card until a few weeks ago. It takes months, if not years to get one, its just the system.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 5:12 am
my english friends who tried to get green cards also had to jump through hoops to get them. My sister missed a siblings wedding in the process. But, since most people I know were younger and with no kids, it was much easier in that sense.

I guess the issue is that she has kids, (so more paperwork and more room for mistakes) and her husband obviously has a job in the US and cannot temporarily relocate to canada while she sorts out the paperwork.

Maybe all this visa stuff was easier before 9/11.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics