Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Counting Sefira- Sports Style- COOL!

happy2beme

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 7:54 am
http://bangitout.com/sportsomer/28.html

Anyone who has sports fans will like this!!! Smile

edited, because I wrote baseball & has other sports too

Last edited by happy2beme on Thu, May 11 2006, 8:09 am; edited 2 times in total

Motek

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 8:01 am
like Ninja Turtle yarmulkes and Mickey Mouse tzitzis

happy2beme

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 8:08 am
not really.
In the instances u state that's an unholy object on holy objects, I.e., yarmulkas & tzitzis.

This is a sefirah Chart!! not exactly holy, you throw it out no problem- yarmulkas & tzitzis u normally wrap in a bag so as not to embarass it.

C'mon

Motek

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 8:20 am
I see what you mean about a chart vs. yarmulke and tzitzis (though you CAN throw out a yarmulke and if you remove the strings, you can throw out the rest of the tzitzis garment)

My opinion - nebech, nebech on us that such a chart exists. I think it's an embarrassment to the mitzva.

What a contrast to the Har Sinai-Mattan Torah charts with 49 boxes that we colored in, in school!

happy2beme

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 8:38 am
u can throw out the yarmulkah & tzitzis (like I said before) but should still wrap it up in a bag so it's not with all the smelly garbage= giving kovod to the mitzvah.
I really don't think it's such a bad idea, it's good for people who have other agendas, I.e., teenagers with other things on their minds.
Also, I just sent it to a non frum coworker who used to be very frum- it reminded him that there's still people practicing jewish things (which he doesn't do anymore) while incorporating things he does do now, sports= meaning, hey u can do both!
It brings a connection to where he is now (sports) to where he should be now (counting sefira)

Also, u compared this chart to the charts with colored boxes- we used to do that when we were children, not teenagers! This isn't meant for children, but for teenagers or adults.

cl

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 4:35 am
I think its cute.
I have no problem in making mitzvos accessible to people who need the extra incentive.
I prefer to think: at least he's wearing a kippa EVEN IF its got mickey on it
or
at least he's counting omer EVEN IF its sports style
if u have a chassidish kid u wudnt give this to them cos they dont need it.

Motek

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 4:42 am
uh, but she said this is meant for teens and adults! Confused

BlumaG

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 5:04 am
for the kid who needs extra incentive I tihnk its gr8
I counted 39 nights and forgot on the 40th Confused Crying
I can still say but without a bracha

brooklyn

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 5:25 am
What is wrong with ninja turtle a kipa and mickey tzitzit? My son has many character kipot and he enjoys choosing which one he will wear each day. What is wrong with making the mitzvot more enjoyable for the kids to keep.

chen

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 11:11 am
IMO it trivializes and secularizes the mitzvah. Which doesn't explain why mickey Mouse kippot bother me and the sports sefirah thing didn't--I'll have to think about it and work it out.

Motek

Post Fri, May 26 2006, 6:53 am
maybe because the kippa is the mitzva itself while the sports chart is not the mitzva but an aid to remember to count

happy2beme

Post Fri, May 26 2006, 7:16 am
oooh motek, r u coming around? Very Happy I know, just kidding!

chen

Post Fri, May 26 2006, 7:51 am
Motek wrote:
maybe because the kippa is the mitzva itself while the sports chart is not the mitzva but an aid to remember to count

Yes, I think that's it.

nehama

Post Sat, May 27 2006, 11:59 pm
For those who need it, I.e. otherwise wouldn't count Sefirah or like wearing a yarmulka, it's great.

If you would be just fine with a Har Sinai chart, I'd say this wouldn't be the ideal Sefira chart for you.

Tefila

Post Sun, May 28 2006, 12:04 am
Quote:
IMO it trivializes and secularizes the mitzvah

my opinion too Smile

Motek

Post Sun, May 28 2006, 6:23 am
brooklyn wrote:
What is wrong with making the mitzvot more enjoyable for the kids to keep.

Loaded question. It implies that those who think ninja turtles yarmulkes and mickey mouse tzitzis are don't want to make mitzvos enjoyable for kids which isn't true, of course.

It also implies that you cannot instill love for mitzvos in children without associating it with secular characters. How sad.

As for teens and adults - sad if you can't talk to them about the significance of Mattan Torah in a way that excites them and motivates them to want to count the Omer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics