Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Anyone here crochet?? I need some help!!!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 10:40 pm
Sorry if this doesnt belong here, but I didnt know where else to put my question.

I crochet, and found a gorgeous pattern to make my 2 year old a jumper. The pattern only goes up to size 24 months, but my daughter is small and it will probably fit. It calls for baby weight yarn (3 ply) and a size G hook. Would it be terrible if I use a size H hook to make it a drop bigger and use regular worsted weight yarn (4 ply, which I would want to use because I have it in the house and it needs to get used).

Thanks in advance to any crafty mamas out there.

mamacita

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 1:28 am
It should work. You can measure as you go to make sure it's big enough.

you could also increase the measurements along the same scale as the other size adjustments.

Ie if it says chain 35 for 12 mos, 40 for 18mos and 45 for 24mos you could prob tack another 5 on. The pattern I'm using now has a more complicated base number because of the stitch, it's x+13 or something.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 7:15 am
Thanks. According to the patterns measurements, it will fit just, so I just need it a drop bigger. I'm horrible at adjusting patterns, although I've done it before. This will be my first attempt at crocheting clothes LOL. Till now I stuck to making easy stuff (afghans, hats, although I did crochet a bunch of donuts...).

smilingmom

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 7:26 am
I often use a larger hook to make items a little larger, just check the gage, to make sure it is not too large.
Can you share the pattern with us, also, please post a picture of the finished project. I would love to see it.

anuta

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 9:26 am
If I were you, I would crochet a swatch first with larger hook and thicker yarn, and compare to the gauge in the pattern.

Then you will be able to estimate the size of the finished garment using larger hook and thicker yarn.
Just mulitply all vertical dimensions by the ratio of pattern gauge to your gauge (for example, if the gauge in the pattern says 4 rows per inch, and you get 3 rows per inch with larger hook, then multiply the number of inches in pattern length by 4/3 - your result should be longer; do the same for the gauge in width and pattern width - they usually give chest circumference).

Also something to keep in mind, is that the finished garment will be heavier and not as delicate looking if you use thicker yarn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics