Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Israeli Pickles

AZmom09

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 2:55 pm
I hope someone here can help!
Since I'm in israel every can of pickles I get are sooo spicy!
I just want a good sour and a bit sweet pickle! Not spicy- I cant handle it.
Anyone know of any brand that I can get thats not spicy?
TIA

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 2:59 pm
I'm not sure if it's too spicy for you, but my favorite Israeli pickle brand are the Kvuzat Yavne ones that are on the larger side and pickled in brine. I'm eating one now!

chaylizi

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:26 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I'm not sure if it's too spicy for you, but my favorite Israeli pickle brand are the Kvuzat Yavne ones that are on the larger side and pickled in brine. I'm eating one now!

ITA. Those are great!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:29 pm
Those are probably too spicy for OP. They add chemicals which give the pickles a bite. Israel doesn't have half-sours etc. I love Israeli pickles in brine, never liked the American ones but I understand OP.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:35 pm
I like the pickles in brine, way better than the pickles in vinegar. Also, I used to like American pickles better, but not anymore.

AZmom09

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:44 pm
So, the pickles in brine.. is there a brand?

chaylizi

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:45 pm
Defy posted it above. Kvutzat Yavne.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:50 pm
If you want them not too pickly (ie not too salty, not too sour), the best way is to pickle your own. Just need small cucumbers (gherkins), salt and vinegar. You can do without vinegar but it takes a bit longer to ferment to get half-sour taste. Leave in room temp for a day or two, then refrigerate (I usually use less salt than normal pickling strength).

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:52 pm
NO no no. Pickles in brine just mean they are salty, as opposed to the other popular type of pickle sold here in Israel: pickles in vinegar. Every company that produces pickles here, produces both types, as far as I can tell. They are all canned and not jarred. Even the jarred ones are canned shock - none of the pickles are "fresh" like you can get in the U.S. The best is to find someone who makes them at home YUM.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 4:02 pm
I prefer brine to vinegar. That's why I suggested the brand that I did - and that's why I like these over most brands of American pickles. IMO, pickles are better when they're left to pickle longer. . . I don't care for fresh pickles very much. Although I do plan on pickling loads this summer.

AZmom09

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 4:28 pm
Thanks so much!
I'm ganna give the Kvuzat Yavne ones a try!
Wish I would have asked before I bought these crazy spicy ones!

Marion

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 10:46 pm
Some of the stores carry European jarred pickles, or sometimes even American ones. But you pay for them. And there is one brand of the European ones that is spicier than anything they make here...that was an expensive mistake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics