Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
SeeYouOnShabbos Website--Should I or Shouldn't I?

mommy7

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 12:38 am
Don't know how many ppl have ever been to the site "See You on Shabbos" but it's primarily to link up shabbos guests who need/want hosts for either meals or sleeping accommodations or both in different cities around the world. Lots of college kids sign up as potential guests (there's a kiruv angle to the site, I guess).

Here's the question: Would you invite someone into your home for shabbos from a website?

Please, all the NYers, I know your friends were tied up by their cleaning ladies and locked in the closet by the flower delivery guy and flushed down the toilet by a fake plumber, but I do live OOT where criminals actually need to carpool just to get to my neighborhood.

So if the focus here could not be Campfire Stories of Things That Happened To Someone I Know Who Let A Stranger into Her Home, I'd be grateful. Just opinions on whether this Shabbos website could actually work, and whether nice, normal people could still be considered nice and normal if they signed up for it.

mandksima

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 1:04 am
IMO it is not that different than the program here, Anywhere in Israel, where students call a woman who then calls other contacts in any community in Israel and they come for Shabbat, for one meal and/or sleeping arrangements. There is no background check and you never know who you're going to get. Most are buchurim and seminary girls. Some are a bit older. I've never felt like anyone was dangerous or even suspicious but they are strangers that are entering your home and you are exposing them to any children around - you need to be comfortable with that. We very often use this program and enjoy it.

The only difference is that you post information on this website with a picture (I assume that isn't obligatory.) Just like I don't know who I'm getting as guests, through Anywhere in Israel, they don't know anything about me either.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 1:08 am
We host on a fairly regular basis through Anywhere In Israel and I've even suggested to my almost 19 and almost 18 year old daughters to sign up and go somewhere through the them too.

gold21

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 1:35 am
I know the rabbi that runs the site... well, I never met him, but my sisters know him...

slushiemom

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 1:42 am
I'm in israel and I've had people through the site. I can understand why you'd feel uncomfortable, what we did is call the reference that they listed and make sure we either knew the reference or had someone in common with the reference- one was a rabbi in efrat that we knew, so when he vouched for the guests, we accepted their request to come.

Raspberry

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 6:07 am
I've had guests from SYOS a few times and it's turned out great each time.... we'll see what the future holds.

shabri

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 7:07 am
We've hosted from the site, not for sleeping just for meals. 1 we had a friend in common and 1 just random. But we are in Israel and often host randoms for meals so it was not so weird

montrealmommy

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 7:51 am
I've hosted and I find it a great site. no complaints here from any guests we've had over.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 9:00 am
We would, no problem.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 9:52 am
if you are worried call a reference.

mommy7

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 11:12 pm
Thanks, everyone, your comforting words are much appreciated. I agree that Israel is different tho. Any of the posters invite total strangers for sleeping/meals in the states?

mamacita

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 11:38 pm
I've hosted! One cancelled and one turned out to have known dh from yeshiva. The person puts in a request and you can say yes or no. You can also make shabbos shidduchim, matching hosts and guests of people you know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics