Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
ISO dessert for 2 ppl - not a whole cake

Motheroftwins

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 10:37 pm
I am looking for a dessert that I can make for shabbos when it's just me and DH at home (my kids are too young for dessert). If I make a cake, I end up eating the whole thing myself after shabbos. So I am looking for something smallish that I can make that won't end up on my thighs.....(no brownies or blondies recipes plz...)

Thanks in advance!

dora

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 10:43 pm
We always enjoy cut up fresh fruit. There are many types of melon and berries now, everything is so colorful. Sometimes I make individual plates, sometimes one platter.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 10:43 pm
Maybe a fruit tart. Buy those small tart shells (I think ungars makes them) and fill it with an apple mixture that's cooked with a bit of sugar and corn starch. Add a crumb topping if you like.

zzzz

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 10:54 pm
Blend fruits to make a sorbet. It's delicious and healthy too.

SorGold

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:06 pm
homemade strawberry applesauce with a hint of vanilla sugar.

solo

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:25 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Maybe a fruit tart. Buy those small tart shells (I think ungars makes them) and fill it with an apple mixture that's cooked with a bit of sugar and corn starch. Add a crumb topping if you like.

I really like the tart idea.
heres some inspiration for filling them
http://braunblabble.blogspot.c......html
I actually bought them and they taste great too.
kinda like a sugar cookie.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:26 pm
You can make apple purses in pastry dough.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:56 pm
Or simply make smaller cakes or cupcakes and freeze what you don't want to eat that Shabbat.

mamommommy

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:11 am
Or you can make cookies and freeze the leftovers.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:13 am
When I make chocolate chip cookies, I quadruple the batch and make a couple dozen. The rest gets rolled and wrapped into a log then frozen.

Then I can make fresh cookies whenever I want without needing to make the dough first.

newatthis

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 2:30 am
Baked Apples or cut up fruit for fruit salad. You can also buy sorbet and put the fruit salad on the side.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 4:01 am
I make a batch of apple crumble topping and keep it in the freezer, then when I need dessert I make individual apple crumbles in ramekins, depending how many I need.

lizard8

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 4:16 am
When I make for guests, I always make extra for when we are alone. I like serving mousse, ice ream, sorbet etc. so it has to go in the freezer anyway.

skcomputer

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 11:09 am
In addition to baked apples, baked pears are really good too.

Alternatively, you can think about getting out of the habit of having dessert on Shabbat. Since your kids are little now, you have an opportunity to do it. We never got into the habit of dessert during the week or on Shabbat, and I only serve it when we have guests. We focus our specialness/calories at the beginning of the meal - appetizer, soup.

sky

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 11:23 am
I bough Ramekins and this way whatever I make I just split between the containers. Freeze them and each shabbos just take out 2 for dh and myself. And if I have guests I can take out some extras for them also.

I make in there:
Brownies, molten choc cake, mint chock cake, etc.
Pies: Apple, blueberry, etc.

Plus you can leave it on top of the crockpot on Friday night and serve hot.

Sherri

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 12:00 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
When I make chocolate chip cookies, I quadruple the batch and make a couple dozen. The rest gets rolled and wrapped into a log then frozen.

Then I can make fresh cookies whenever I want without needing to make the dough first.
Thanks- the log idea is a good one.

Aidelmom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 5:05 pm
I make homemade ice cream and it stays in the freezer from week to week.

canned pineapple is also a refreshing dessert.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 5:09 pm
Sharons ices is refreshing. serve a scoop or two (two dif ones) with a slice of melon or some blueberries.

Motheroftwins

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 6:39 pm
[quote="sky"]I bough Ramekins and this way whatever I make I just split between the containers. Freeze them and each shabbos just take out 2 for dh and myself. And if I have guests I can take out some extras for them also.

I make in there:
Brownies, molten choc cake, mint chock cake, etc.
Pies: Apple, blueberry, etc.

Plus you can leave it on top of the crockpot on Friday night and serve hot.[/quote

SKY - Can you post ur recipe for mint choc cake??

Thanks everyone for your ideas....this week happens to be a quiet week for me, barely any cooking, so I am taking the easy (and healthy) way out and going with watermelon - plus its just so hot out, it will be light and refreshing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics