Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Ever notice the ads in Imamother?

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 7:16 pm
I usually just scroll down to see what is written by the OP and the responses and usually ignore the 2 ads above the topic title -

it happened to catch my eye just now - that the ads had to do with what I was just searching on google.

I was looking into various trampolines and the 2 ads were for trampolines!!! pretty cool - how does it do that??

I looked at the other imamother pages that I subsequently opened and they also had trampoline ads and a small hand saw that I also "googled" 2 days ago... go figure!!!

the computer remembers what I have googled and provides with with constant stimulation and reminders of what I was searching for!

GreenEyes26

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 8:10 pm
It's not the computer that's remembering, it's Google itself. It's called "data mining" and they take all your information from your IP address - all the sites you've visited, the Google searches you've made - and give that to advertisers who, in turn, will work with websites to get ads for the products you are searching for onto the pages you visit.

Some people have huge issues with this "invasion of privacy" - I kinda like the fact that, if I have to look at ads anyway, at least they're ones I'm interested in seeing!

ValleyMom

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 8:18 pm
How creepy!
Now I see ads for trampolines and that is the last thing I would purchase these days!!!
I would much rather look for a slide for the pool!
:-)

Sherri

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 5:53 am
Are we all seeing different ads? I don't get it. (I thought ads had to do with topic titles.)

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 6:10 am
I'm going assume based upon what happened to me above - regarding the trampoline and saw ads - that we all see "individualized" ads!!

today I didnt do any google searches - and I opened 3 imamother pages - I got a car ad, golden blossom honey, chuckie cheeses and others....

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 6:11 am
GreenEyes26 wrote:
It's not the computer that's remembering, it's Google itself. It's called "data mining" and they take all your information from your IP address - all the sites you've visited, the Google searches you've made - and give that to advertisers who, in turn, will work with websites to get ads for the products you are searching for onto the pages you visit.

Some people have huge issues with this "invasion of privacy" - I kinda like the fact that, if I have to look at ads anyway, at least they're ones I'm interested in seeing!

Interesting - tx!!!

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 7:10 am
Sherri wrote:
Are we all seeing different ads? I don't get it. (I thought ads had to do with topic titles.)

The google ads are different. The paid ones are the same. Most of the google ads I get are in spanish and from here.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 7:25 pm
so this is what I just noticed - I was responding to someone's question about fishtanks on imamother - I did not even google a thing or open any websites - I just gave her some advise (no links or anything -

and now I see on the top of that imamother page - and this imamother page google ads for fishtanks...

wow - that is rediculous - it is picking up keywords from what I am typing here and posting things - not happy with that.

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 9:45 am
When I write an email on gmail, I notice the next time I go on or refresh the page, there are ads on the sides pertaining to what I wrote. Twilight zone......

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:26 pm
I wrote to the us embassy today regarding visa stuff and when I went on just now, there were ads regarding visa stuff on the side on my gmail.

Funmommy

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 4:55 am
I guess since we are seeing the ads, why not get relevant ones!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics