Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is there such a thing as needing too much sensory input?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:39 pm
I know there is such a thing as not being able to handle too much sensory stimulus. Is there such a thing as needing too much?

Ds is very very physical, constantly rubbing things and putting his feet on things. Sticking things in his mouth. He runs in to tables and doesn't feel a thing. He's needed stitches and without the blood gushing from his large wound would never have known.

Also if he smashes his fingers in something he doesn't cry, if he has an eyelash in his eye(in fact once he had 2 at the same time) he doesn't even notice.

I'm worried he can't feel pain. I know thats weird, but it take a major fall to cause him to fell or cry. Is this a problem? He also requires a ton of stimulation and loves rubbing and being patted really hard.

I'm not sure if I should mention this to the dr???

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:41 pm
Yes. Please mention this to your doctor.

bnm

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:48 pm
yes. talk to your dr and have an ot evaluate him

amother

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:51 pm
thanks GR I think I will mention it to the dr. After I re-read what I wrote I realized it would be silly not to. Just wondering what could be the issue. What kind of things are related to this. Its way weird.

Just as another example, he had surgery, major surgery, and although we never gave him pain meds he never complained of pain or anything. We are talking about many many stiches, cuts in a sensitive part of his body, and huge bandages wrapped around the area. The dr. told us he would be in a lot of pain for up to a wk. A few hrs after the surgery he wan'ted to run around , I'm not sure he realized the bandages were even there till we told him...

amother

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:56 pm
OP again, just wanted to add that for a long time we just chalked it up to being a boy, but lately it has me wondering more and more. One day it hit me that I could see an eyelash moving around in his eye and he wasn't reacting at all. No tearing, his eye wasn't getting red, not rubbing his eye nothing. Then it hit me. If that happened to anyone else I knew they would be irritated. Then I though of all the scrapes and cuts and gashes and how he didn't cry. And the smushed finger, especially the one that the nail fell off, and the need to constantly have his hands on things feeling... Confused

simchat

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:03 pm
yes, there is such a thing as needing loads of sensory input! I`ve worked with children like this and was constantly doing things like sand/water play, activities using sensory materials (shaving foam, paint, glue, sand, even foods such as cornflour or rice krispies and mixtures of these), putting them in ball ponds, giving them electric toothbrushes or other vibrating toys to play with and of course, letting them play/work barefoot.

it is very scary when they hurt themselves (sometimes intentionally!) as they do not feel much pain. also they get very frustrated easily, so I learned to give them `deep pressure` - holding them very tight or just pressing hard on their arms, legs, hands, feet etc.

I would definitely mention this to a dr!

good luck!

jackiejoel3

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:04 pm
He needs an OT eval pronto. In the meantime if you have a swing make sure he is on it a few times a day for at least 5 minutes at a time. have him run up and down the steps in your house or apartment building and if he likes to be touched you can rub his back or scratch his arms as well. When he is in school (if he is) give him apples and carrots to eat or nosh that is crunchy. This is the basics of a sensory diet. It wont help so much until an OT has evaluated him and worked with him ( I of course have never met him) but it may help him to calm down a little and channel him slightly. But an OT eval asap is neccessary.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:12 pm
Welcome to the wonderful world of being a mother to a "seeker." He needs OT, a crunchy, spicy diet, brushing, hard massages, etc. For mouthing, there are chew tubes, mechanical brushes and massages.

Frankly, after 2 years, not much has changed. But good luck.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:13 pm
simchat wrote:
yes, there is such a thing as needing loads of sensory input! I`ve worked with children like this and was constantly doing things like sand/water play, activities using sensory materials (shaving foam, paint, glue, sand, even foods such as cornflour or rice krispies and mixtures of these), putting them in ball ponds, giving them electric toothbrushes or other vibrating toys to play with and of course, letting them play/work barefoot.

it is very scary when they hurt themselves (sometimes intentionally!) as they do not feel much pain. also they get very frustrated easily, so I learned to give them `deep pressure` - holding them very tight or just pressing hard on their arms, legs, hands, feet etc.

I would definitely mention this to a dr!

good luck!

Thats so interesting what you said about the vibrating toys and the deep pressure. His favoritething to do is hold a blender toy(no blades don''t worry) as it vibrates and spins. Also he gets upset really easily and lashes out the bast thing I've noticed is to hold him very tight and massage his back strongly it really calms him down. He's also constantly mashing things, food mud etc..

His teachers at school are great. He's 3. They instinctively know what to do. Hold him and stroke and he spends a lot of time climbing and at the water table. I have to send him with about 4 changes of clothes to be there regularly.

He also loves loud loud music..it clams him
Ok I'm giving a call to the dr.

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:17 pm
I'll never forget when my oldest at age 2 was singing and dancing around the room and I noticed he had blood dripping from his knee. He has no idea, just kept on dancing. By age 3, however, he went to the other extreme and cried about everything. He's still trying to find the right balance 4 years later but he's pretty good about it.

A call to the doctor is a good idea.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:17 pm
One of my kids gets overloaded with too much sensory input, and another seeks out extra sensory things. I have mentioned it to my pediatrician and we also sought out a natural doctor who is helping to even everyone out B"H.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:

Ok I'm giving a call to the dr.

I would mention it to the doctor, but keep in mind that not all doctors are familiar with sensory issues. I had to explain the whole concept to dd's pediatrician. He had never heard of it before.

The most important thing to do is to get him evaluated for OT. And BTW, this type of sensory issues is called sensory seeking. My dd is a sensory seeker as well.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:24 pm
Yes. definitely. There are sensory avoidant children and there are sensory-seeking children.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:49 pm
I have a couple of sensory seekers. Two home solutions that work well when they start to get crazy are:

1. Obstacle course. Set up chairs, tables, beds, large balls, towels to make a path, whatever you like, to arrange a course for them to go over, under, and through. Be sure to include a variety of movements and positions.

2. Make a "kid sandwich". Have your child lie down (you can try a carpeted floor, a mat, or a bed), and tell them that they are the middle of the sandwich. Pretend to put on other ingredients, then close the sandwich with a big pillow over most of their body (but not the head!), and press firmly. I usually say "Squishy, squishy, squishy" in a dramatic voice while making my "sandwich". Then, you can pretend to eat it up. The deep pressure is very helpful.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 5:08 pm
I don't know how old the child is, but I would suggest you get him evaluated ASAP and start therapy as soon as possible. There are great books you can read about this issue that will help you understand how he processes the world around him differently than other kids do.

It is advisable to have them start therapy the earlier the better. I've seen one of my nieces turn from a child who was considered ADHD and who knows what else, into a great, very well functioning child just from therapy for her sensory issues. If neglected, it can get worse over time as they need more and more sensory input.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 5:42 pm
A few books I would recommend reading:

the out of sync child
the out of sync child has fun
sensational kids

they're informative without being too heavy. Gl!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics