Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Using wet wipes for diaper change

Lefty

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 7:19 pm
Why do I see mothers change their babies wet diapers w/o wiping the area???

Do you do this??
Am I doing something extra and unnecessary if I wipe my babies diaper area when I change her wet diaper?

Rodent

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 7:45 pm
I sometimes do and sometimes don't.
I can't comment for all kids but for my own kids I find that if they are wiped too frequently then it removes the natural oils that protect their skin and they get a rash. If the skin is obviously wet or smells then of course but if the nappy was barely wet and their skin is dry then I don't. Take into consideration that my middle child especially is very prone to eczema and irritation in general, could only wear certain types of cloth nappies and no disposables for a long time or he'd have burn like rashes (and can still only have certain wipes and nappies), and over-bathing makes his skin worse in general so I may be coming from a different place to some others.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 8:31 pm
uummm, I almost never wipe them after a wet diaper.
I only would if its a morning diaper, so its extra wet and smelly.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
uummm, I almost never wipe them after a wet diaper.
I only would if its a morning diaper, so its extra wet and smelly.

Same here

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 1:47 am
for those of you who wrote that you almost never or never use wet wipes, do you wipe your child with anything? even a tissue or something? I feel like that is very unhygienic, no? I mean, the child has peed and there is stuff there that needs to be wiped, I feel like they could get a bad rash from not being wiped, but maybe I am wrong about this.

Marion

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 6:37 am
I tend to wipe down with the inner front of the diaper/nappy. If the point is to dry him off then a wet wipe won't accomplish that. Girls may need to be wiped differently than boys too (I wouldn't know). Many diapers (cloth & disposable) wick moisture away from the skin, so if the diaper is only wet then baby's skin probably isn't. It doesn't sit there like the contents of a dirty nappy do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics