Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
ISO chicken and pinapple in crockpot recipe

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:31 am
I have some baby carrots to get rid of, and some canned pineapple. I'd like to use them to make some chicken in the crockpot for dinner tonight. I've made the "just dump the pineapple on top" recipe before, and it's okay, but I'd really like to add some other spices, if possible. I thought about just throwing in some things that seem like they'd work, but I'm not great at that.

I was thinking maybe cinnamin? Curry? A bit of nutmeg? Or maybe a little bit of Allspice?

What do you experienced chefs think?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:36 am
If you'd like a honey-barbeque-pineapple crockpot chicken recipe, let me know.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:39 am
Hm, that sounds interesting. Could you post it? I'm not sure if I have enough BBQ sauce for it, but I probably have half a bottle. Is that enough?

(And if not for tonight, I can always make it another time!)

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:47 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Hm, that sounds interesting. Could you post it? I'm not sure if I have enough BBQ sauce for it, but I probably have half a bottle. Is that enough?

(And if not for tonight, I can always make it another time!)

Yes, half a bottle is enough.

Honey Barbecued Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
• 2 medium/large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
• 1 cup (8 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained
• 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
• 4 Tbsp honey
• 1 tsp dry mustard
• 4 chicken leg quarters, skin removed

Combine sweet potatoes, pineapple, chopped onion, and ground ginger in slow cooker. Stir to blend.
In a measuring cup, combine barbecue sauce, honey, and dry mustard. Stir with a fork to blend well.
Coat chicken generously on all sides with barbecue sauce mixture. Arrange coated chicken in single layer over sweet potato and pineapple mixture, overlapping if necessary. Spoon any remaining barbecue sauce mixture over chicken.
Cover; cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours (or on HIGH for 4 to 4½ hours) or until chicken is fork tender and juices run clear, and sweet potatoes are tender.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, May 05 2010, 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Ronit

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 12:01 pm
Thanks ra_mom that looks great. We'll let you know tonight how it was.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 12:11 pm
I'm going to try it tonight too!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 6:30 pm
Ra mom - it was awesome! Thanks so much! Everyone was a fan.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:01 pm
RA Mom - same here! It got rave reviews from both dh and ds (two years old). Thank you for posting it!

I used the carrots instead of the sweet potatoes, and I didn't drain the pineapple juice. Put lots of rice under it to soak up the extra juice.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 12:29 am
I'm so glad you guys enjoyed it! Tongue Out

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 12:40 am
When I make my pineapple chicken, I put green peppers, onions and the chicken into a pot. Dump in a can of pineapple chunks or tidbits with syrup.

The 'sauce' is either ketchup or tomato paste (thinned out with some water), minced garlic, salt, black pepper and brown sugar. Basically you'll want enough sauce to mostly cover the chicken.

I make it in a pot on the stove top and cook it until the chicken is completely cooked through... about 1 1/2 hours or so. I serve it with rice.

It would probably do well in the crock pot as well.

melsg

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 9:35 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
RA Mom - same here! It got rave reviews from both dh and ds (two years old). Thank you for posting it!

I used the carrots instead of the sweet potatoes, and I didn't drain the pineapple juice. Put lots of rice under it to soak up the extra juice.

did you put the rice in the crock pot also, or just on the side to have it served over?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey