Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
ISO: Chicken in a pot

dora

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 11:38 am
I would like to make chicken in a pot on the stove top for tonight's supper. We like strong flavors (not boiled chicken) but not sweet stuff, any suggestions?

greeneyes

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 4:03 pm
The recipe Mishie posted in this thread is delicious:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....+rice

(Thanks, Mishie! Very Happy )

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 6:15 pm
chicken and rice

1 roaster, cut in 1/8 pieces, trimmed of visible fat and skinned
1 onion
1 rib celery
1-2 carrots
2-3 cloves garlic
2 cup easy-cook long grain rice
1/2 cup tomato sauce or pasta sauce

peel and chop vegetables. In a large saupan with a tight fitting lid, brown chicken pieces. Add vegetables and garlic, sautee for 10min. Season with salt & pepper, add paprika or chicken soup cube if you want. Add 3 cups of water (or 2.5 cups of water with 1/2 cup dry white wine if you want) and let simmer for 20-30min till chicken is cooked through.
Rinse rice while chicken is simmering. Add to the pot, stir-in tomato sauce. Cook covered till rice absorbs all the liquid (takes about 15min or so). Turn off flame and let steam for another 5-10min. This reheats well in the oven, and can be frozen.

Queen18

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 6:37 pm
I like doing that myself. I keep it very simple though and love it. Skinless chicken, onions sliced in rings (lots lining the bottome of pot), garlic, and a dash of paprika. Spray the bottom with Pam. Sliced sweet potatoes and potatoes.

frumshopper

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 8:45 pm
Queen18 - sounds yummy - do you add any liquid to it?

abismommy

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 8:54 pm
Too late for supper tonight, but...

4 cloves of garlic, diced
2 onions, sliced in rings
5 carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into strips
4 pcs chicken

Saute garlic in a little oil until fragrant. Add onions & carrots & saute till soft. Remove veggies & place chicken, skin side down, in pan. Sprinkle with spices and put a little water in pan - enough that it doesn't stick. Cook covered on low flame about 45 min. Remove chicken, put veggies back in pan and lay chicken, skin side up, on top. Sprinkle with spices & cook another 45 minutes covered.

elmos

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 11:00 am
mrs. bissli your recipe souns yummy do you add the rice after the chickn simmred for 30 min. or do you add it later?

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 1:26 pm
Also to late but maybe next time?

oil the bottom of the pot
line with lots of sliced onions, add one or two sliced tomatoes on top of the onions. place chicken parts on top of the tomatoes. salt pepper and a lot of paprika. cook on a medium-low flame for two-three hours. The chicken and tomatoes usually let out enough water but I check every once in a while and add if needed. I sometimes add sliced potatoes for the last hour or rice the last half hour (add more salt and water for rice)

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 4:25 pm
elmos wrote:
mrs. bissli your recipe souns yummy do you add the rice after the chickn simmred for 30 min. or do you add it later?

sorry my description wasn't clear cut. stew chicken for 20-30min, then add rice. it takes longer to cook chicken and I use easy-cook (ie parboiled) rice which cooks in 15min plus steaming time.

elmos

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 1:27 pm
mrs. bissli I made your recipe with one change used reg. rice not parboiled and added a drop more water as it needed it but it was amzing had company and everyone enjoyed it. Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey