Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Starting solids

amother

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 8:35 pm
I started my baby on solids two weeks ago. I gave him a week of rice cereal and then a week of oatmeal. I give him in the morning and before bedtime. where do I go from here? whats next. how many times. when where how??

Annie

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 9:13 pm
How old is your baby? You can start with light fruits and veggies like carrots and pears or applesauce. Just make sure to leave three days in between new foods. You can also make apples, sweet potatoes, squash and carrots yourself if you have a blender or food processor.

You're lucky the baby liked the cereal. Mine will only eat fruits, unless I "hide" the veggies in the fruit. She had sweet potatoes and apples yesterday. As far as how much and how often, it depends how old your baby is and whether or not you're breast or bottle feeding.

(edited for grammar)

mindyme

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 9:25 pm
btw, there's another thread running now: "do I need to start with rice cereal?", that has more ideas

rowo

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 9:48 pm
I agree to slowly introduce vegies and fruit. first one at a time, then once you know what your baby tolerates mix together (avocado and banana, anyone?)
I was told to start by giving a teaspoon once a day, slowly increasing the amount, to a tablespoon, eventually I think they eat about 1/2 a cup,
at the same time once they are doing well with one meal, increase to two, then slowly to three.
(I did this veeeery slowly, once they are on solids feeding becomes such a big deal...)
also, remember, at this stage the solids arent replacing breastmilk or formula. its just to introduce them to the whole idea of eating. so offer the solids after a milk feed.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 9:59 pm
I would introduce vegetables first, then fruits. My kid eats all kinds of vegetables and non-sweet foods, and I chalk it up to that. (Not sure if it's true, but it sounds good.) I know too many people who started with applesauce or bananas, and then their kid refused every single non-sweet food (green beans, peas, even carrots and sweet potatoes) because it just coudln't compete.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics