Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
3 Year old DD cries every day.

sandyb

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 9:38 am
My dd has been in preschool now for almost a year, and I have never had a problem. About a week after daycamp started she started crying real hard when I put her on the bus so I kept her home. The next day she cried again but I put her on the bus. I felt horrible but she came home so happy. She has been crying ever since every day. I feel like I am losing it. Today I couldn't even get her out the door.

Any ideas? I did go in with her one day last week to check out the place and it seems perfect. The teachers couldn't even believe she knows how to cry.

Grace

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 5:52 pm
Maybe its not cam, maybe something is happening on the bus?

octopus

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 6:02 pm
I second what grace said. If your 3 year old is crying- even if they know how to talk, they can't always verbalize what is bothering them. When my ds didn't want to go to school anymore, I switched him. He wasn't happy there, and based on the things that the teacher told me, I decided to pull. In his new school, I never had the problem that he wanted to stay home. If your child has never done this before, you need to see it as a red flag. It's very hard. As a mom, you must be pained, because you probably feel like you don't know what to do! But your three year old should not be sobbing hysterically like this. Your mom radar is probably right. Something's wrong here.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 9:31 pm
Is it only when she needs to leave to day camp? Because that should tell you that there's something that's causing her anxiety. It might just be the change in routine or whatever, but something's making her cry.

sandyb

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 9:46 pm
She is generally being very temperamental these days. But this sobbing kind of crying is only happening when she needs to go to daycamp. These are the things I know:

Nothing serious is happening on the bus. I had my little sister staying by me for a week (6 1/2) and she would tell me if something happened.

I know she has fun there because she comes home really happy.

Today I took her there myself and and when I told her that I'm staying with her for a while she got this big smile and started chattering about all the fun things they do. When I left she nicely made bye to me and let me go.

So my question is, could she suddenly have developed separation anxiety? Because for a year now she was having no issues separating from me.

ESB

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 9:49 pm
Sandy b I could have written your post. DD cries every morning and she loved regular school. I went down to the school today, and the teacher says its funny cuz she loves it here shes so coopertive and plays along. Maybe its the bus. We will see tomorrow again iyh. It deffinitly is a change cuz day camp is completely different than school.

marina

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 10:10 pm
What does your child say? If she's been in preschool for a year, she must be at least 3 or 4. What does she say about camp and/or the bus?

sandyb

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 10:13 pm
All she tells me is that she doesn't wanna go to daycamp. (insert whining tone.) No info forthcoming from her.

marina

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 11:37 pm
Is somebody being mean to you?
Is there an alligator at daycamp? (be a little silly)
Is someone bothering you?
Is the food yucky?
Did someone sneeze on you? (be a little silly)
Is the Morah mean?
Does the bus driver yell?
Did you see something scary?

You have to probe a bit more. Otherwise the investigating will be more difficult. Ask her specific questions, but don't put words in her mouth, it's a little tricky with that age.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jul 12 2010, 11:40 pm
My neighbor's daughter has the same issue currently. She said that a few parents have complained about the counselor and the kids are really not happy. I think day camp can be a bit confusing and frightening to little kids. There's less structure, more mess and balagan.

cubbie

Post Tue, Jul 13 2010, 2:11 am
marina wrote:
Is somebody being mean to you?
Is there an alligator at daycamp? (be a little silly)
Is someone bothering you?
Is the food yucky?
Did someone sneeze on you? (be a little silly)
Is the Morah mean?
Does the bus driver yell?
Did you see something scary?

You have to probe a bit more. Otherwise the investigating will be more difficult. Ask her specific questions, but don't put words in her mouth, it's a little tricky with that age.

Unfortunately those questions are putting possibilities into her mind, don't ever ask yes/no questions.
Tell me about the people on the bus, what do they play on the way to camp?
What to the other children/teachers like to play with you? Which of those games do you like?
What food do you get?
Tell me about the teacher/driver etc etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers