Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
New baby-what to do

amother

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 9:52 pm
I just had my 3rd and my two older children are 7 and 4. I feel like a terrible mom, but all I am interested in is the baby.I am so much more patient with her and I almost feel like my big kids are intruding. I try not to show it, but I definitely feel it.Is this normal or am I nuts?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 10:05 pm
I think you are. You're a limited human being.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 10:20 pm
I agree. Totally normal. I'm infinitely more patient with my almost 2 year old than my older kids, although I try and remain conscious of this and remember they are still little too! Very Happy Hang in there, you can do it!

cookiemilk

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 10:27 pm
I find that I enjoy my older ones more than the infant. Its harder for me to pay her attention when she has a limited way of communicating with me. so I guess we are different, sigh.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 10:45 pm
I want to sigh because I get upset when my attention gets taken away from the baby.

ruthla

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 11:24 pm
Mazel Tov!

How new is the baby? If the baby is only a few days or a few weeks old, then what you're feeling is 100% normal. It has something to do with postpartum hormones, and acting like a "mama bear" with the new baby, and the big ones can seem like a "threat" to the little one.

This should pass when your hormones calm down and when you've had time to create new family routines and the big siblings have a chance to develop relationships with the new baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics