Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
ISO a small challah recipe

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 2:26 pm
I'm really in the mood of homemade challah, but we don't need a lot. I'm looking for a recipe that doesn't yield that much. (1-2 loaves?) I would be making it by hand, and we prefer a sweet-ish, dense type of challah.

Does anyone have a recipe like this?

Thanks!!

realeez

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 2:34 pm
Let me know if you needs the steps to this - but I do it in the bread machine

1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
2.5 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 T honey (optional but keeps challah tasting fresher for some reason)
2 eggs
4 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp yeast

Mix in machine, let rise, shape, rise again, egg wash, bake at 350 until golden.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 2:39 pm
This is my friend's amazing sweet dense challah recipe! No bread machine! Very easy if you follow it step by step!
Especially great for the chagim because it uses honey. Warning, you may want to use a little less honey, because its very sweet.

½ cup oil
4 tsp. salt
¾ cup honey
1 cup boiling water
½ cup cold water
2 packages dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water
3 large eggs
7 – 8 cups flour

Here's how:

Dissolve the 2 packages dry yeast and 1 tsp sugar in 1/3 cup warm water and put it aside
Pour the oil, salt, and honey into a large mixing bowl
Add 1 cup boiling water, and stir
Add ½ cup coldwater and stir
Beat the 3 eggs with a fork and add to the oil mixture. Stir
Add the dissolved yeast and stir
Add 7 cups of flour
Knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes
Lightly oil the bowl
Put the dough in the bowl and turn a few times so the surface is lightly oiled
Put a pan of water in the bottom of your oven and heat the oven for 1 minute and then turn it off
Cover the bowl with a slightly damp dishtowel and put it in the oven for about 2 hours (until doubled in bulk)
Put the dough on a floured surface and knead for approximately 1 minute
Add raisins or chocolate chips if desired
Separate the dough
Braid the challah
Grease the pans
Cover the challot and let stand for about 45 minutes
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Beat an additional egg and brush it on the challot
Add poppy or sesame seeds if desired
Bake for 20 – 30 minutes

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 4:10 pm
Make Seraph's no fail Challah recipe. It is done by hand, is super easy, yields 3 small loaves, and is delicious!
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....=fail

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 4:31 pm
realeez wrote:
Let me know if you needs the steps to this - but I do it in the bread machine

1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
2.5 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp yeast

Mix in machine, let rise, shape, rise again, egg wash, bake at 350 until golden.

Realeez, I would love more exact instructions if you don't mind. This is just what I was looking for, since it uses just 4 cups flour.

Mirabelle, thanks so much for taking the time to type up your recipe, & ra_mom, thanks for the link! I'd like to try realeez's recipe because it has less flour than the others. Thanks a million!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 4:52 pm
No problem.
Seraph's recipe is made from a little less than 2-1/2 lbs. of flour. Her measurements are in cups instead of the usual lbs.

realeez

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 4:57 pm
Non Bread Machine Version

1 cup water
1/2 cup oil
2.5 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp yeast

Dissolve yeast in the 1 cup water with some of the sugar. Put salt in bowl, cover with flour, make a well and add bubbly yeast mixture and remaining ingredients. Mix well and knead well. Allow to rise for about 2 hours. Shape and allow to rise again another 2 hours or so. Egg wash and put in oven and only then turn on oven (helps with rising). Bake about 1/2 hour at 350.

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 7:20 pm
Thanks so much!

The challahs are shaped & rising again. Is it really necessary to let them rise for another 2 hours? Would one hour be sufficient?

(I hope it will work out. I was ready to start making the dough & I hadn't seen your instructions, so I sort of made up my own. Smile )

realeez

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 7:31 pm
Yeah I'm sure an hour will probably be OK - basically until it's doubled. If you want it to move faster, you can put it for a bit in the oven at like 175 or whatever your oven's lowest temp is!

realeez

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 7:32 pm
and as for exact instructions, I'm sure it would work if you just mixed everything together since that's what the bread machine does but I figured this way is the safest to be sure it works!

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 7:36 pm
Thanks!!! Very Happy

I'll let you know how they turn out!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 7:46 pm
Oh wow, 4 cups of flour! And here I thought you wrote 4 lbs. embarrassed

realeez

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 6:51 am
Hope you like it! I've given it out to lots of people and so far, it's worked for everyone (other than the time I wrote the salt measurement in TBSP instead of TSP! but she still tried again the next week and it worked!)

Sherri

Post Sat, Jul 17 2010, 12:44 pm
I'm curious- why wouldn't someone halve/third/whatever their regular recipe in order to yield the amount they want?

greeneyes

Post Sat, Jul 17 2010, 9:12 pm
Realeez, the challah was delicious! Thanks so much for all your help. It was especially good when it was warm. I took a small amount of the dough, rolled it out thinly and spread it with a chocolate filling & some chocolate chips and rolled it up to make a big chocolate danish. It was heavenly straight from the oven! Very Happy

Sherri, I was specificially looking for a small recipe because I'm a recipe person, I like having exact instructions and amounts to follow, especially when it comes to something like challah which can flop if you do something incorrectlly.

realeez

Post Sun, Jul 18 2010, 5:15 am
So glad you enjoyed! There's a kokosh filling recipe on here that I've used too and it's amazing in my dough!

4Sisters

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 9:53 pm
realeez, tried your recipe this past Shabbos and my family really liked it. Thanks so much for posting!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads