Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Have You Ever Gone to a Shiur/ /Event Because.....

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 25 2010, 3:22 am
of a poster. I'm not talking about an imamother poster, I'm talking about one you see hanging in a shop or on the street.

What about the poster drew you to the speaker/event?

If it was a speaker you had never heard of before, what about the poster conveyed to you the idea that this was something you wanted to see/hear? The speaker's picture? List of credentials? Feedback from a prominent person I.e.

"Devorah Plonis is the a dynamic expert on Shalom Bayis! A speaker not-to-be missed!"
--Rav Choshuv

a combination?

Do posters usually affect your decision to go places? Does the poster have to be glossy and fancy to get your attention or can it just be attractive? or if it is somewhat plain but gives a lot of really interesting info about the speaker, is that enough?

Asking because publicity via posters entails a lot of time and expense when making an event and there has been a debate among event-makers, especially with the explosion of online and other types of media, how necessary posters really are nowadays.

I'd say, I think there should be SOME effort to put up posters, because I like seeing something on the street about an event even after I've already heard about it on Facebook. it helps me make that final decision to go. I would more likely go hear a speaker based on information than a glossy picture..Then again, I I were pressed for time, I would consider posters the last priority

but what do the rest of you think?

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Jul 25 2010, 3:26 am
posters used to affect me when I walked on the street more often LOL but now that I'm home/work more, I find newspaper/magazine ads talk to me much more. online ads alone rarely will push me to go

What should be on the poster?

- I don't go because of endorsements.
- I go either cuz I love the org regardless of what the program is
- I LOVE the program and will go regardless of what the org is.

A topic about a speech written in a good, provocative and clear way. I don't go for vague 'nicey' sounding stuff.

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Jul 25 2010, 3:28 am
many times the only way I know of an event at all is through a poster. That said I like when there is an ad in one of the weeklys as well - this way I have something in the house with the time and place etc.

As long as the poster is in english my eye is drawn to it because almost everything is in hebrew Smile

Last edited by Aidelmom on Sun, Jul 25 2010, 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 25 2010, 5:43 am
Aidelmom..I hear you...but does the quality of the poster matter? or what is written on it? Photo? etc...
I would of course love to pay for big glossy photos, but those are expensive and if a mailing list or public notice board online can draw the lion's share of the people, I sometimes think "why bother."

but yes, posters are important. Maybe I can go medium quality...but if you have never heard of a particular speaker before, what wording or images might encourage you to go?

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jul 25 2010, 6:42 am
If I see a poster with the name of a speaker I never heard of, I doubt that any endorsements will make a difference. If I see the name of a well known speaker that I like - I'll go.

KAlex

Post Sun, Jul 25 2010, 6:53 am
If I see the poster on the door of or inside an organisation I already know and trust it's more likely to grab me, both because I know who's recommending the speaker and I know where the event is taking place, meaning I only have to remember the date and time (and I have another way to check those details if necessary).

That doesn't work so well here and now, when I don't know so many places or organisations (and those I do know aren't so local).

There is much necessary information on a poster that can be a lot to remember anyhow (where, when, who, what, how much, etc), so lots of extraneous text about the speaker is more likely to mean I just don't have time to read the poster as I go by.

I suppose the advantage of a poster over other methods is that you have the potential for a different market of local people.

curlyhead

Post Sun, Jul 25 2010, 6:54 am
POsters are for sure helpful.

It is better if colored and glossy but even simple poster with text and a border is helpful. If it is a topic, speaker, organization that is meaningful people will come.
IF colored and glossy then it looks like the organization is more professional. Sometimes in a place with a a wall of flyers a black and white one would get lost in the crown and a large colored one will stand out more.

These days emails will do if sent out a few times as reminders. You could email the poster.

sirel

Post Sun, Jul 25 2010, 6:56 am
curlyhead wrote:
POsters are for sure helpful.

It is better if colored and glossy but even simple poster with text and a border is helpful. If it is a topic, speaker, organization that is meaningful people will come.
IF colored and glossy then it looks like the organization is more professional. Sometimes in a place with a a wall of flyers a black and white one would get lost in the crown and a large colored one will stand out more.

These days emails will do if sent out a few times as reminders. You could email the poster.

I agree. It makes it stand out on a bulletin board when there are many other signs, and that is no. 1 in advertising - making people notice.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 26 2010, 7:03 am
Sure!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics