Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is Twitter potentially unsafe for teen girls?

Is Twitter potentially unsafe for teen girls?
YES, It's unsafe.  
 80%  [ 37 ]
NO, it is safe.  
 19%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 46

Mevater

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 1:40 am
Would you be OK with your teen daughter going on Twitter (Im not familiar with it at all)?

Can she share private info with others and others with her?

Is there a way to limit its' use and make it safe?

Mevater

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 9:40 am
Can someone please explain what is unsafe about Twitter, I have no idea what it is.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 9:45 am
It's (un)safe if you want/make it to be. Like internet. Like everything.

frumluv

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 9:54 am
Sorta like Facebook, you can decline people to follow you. Most people follow their friends or celebrities, musicians, news organizations, etc.

Mevater

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 10:03 am
So if I trust her to be on the internet (because when she is, I'm around), it's no more unsafe than that?

Can you give me a worst case scenario of what can happen on Twitter?

Is there a way I can know who she's communicating with?

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 10:46 am
One of my girls asked if she could start a Twitter account. I told her no, she already had Facebook and didn't need the other.

IMO I don't think it's necessary. I'm not TOO concerned about the safety issue.

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 10:50 am
Twiiter is a strange concept. You can only type a limited amount of text per entry and the object is to keep your "followers" aware of EVERYTHING you do during your day. So a typical account may look like this:
For breakfast I had a coffee and some cheese on a bagel.

I am at work now only four hours till lunch

Today I may get a haircut after work

I didn't get to the gym yet

It's actually very boring I checked it out and could not believe how boring twitter is. I imiagine if you follow a celebrity it is equally boring. Do I really care what they are doing every moment of the day?

Also, Twitter is not monitored as closely as facebook there have beeen some breaches of privacy.
I told my kids what I thought about twitter and now nobody is interested.

stem

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 11:35 am
Isn't twitter sent as a text message to people's personal cell phones? I would be weary of it if only for this reason. You lose control over your kids interactions with other people online.

Sherri

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 11:48 am
What breach in privacy can there be when someone is sending YOU the message about THEM? Please explain.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 11:50 am
I voted no because I read "would you be comfortable with your daughter going on" -- take away 1 vote from no, and move it to yes when looking at the results; I don't believe it's safe.
Much of the social networking sites is giving the impression we're all one big happy family, all friends, we can share whatever we want, and a teenager can easily get lost in this and post information that makes it too easy to track her down.

Sherri

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 11:53 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Much of the social networking sites is giving the impression we're all one big happy family, all friends, we can share whatever we want, and a teenager can easily get lost in this and post information that makes it too easy to track her down.

So you are saying that if your kid is sharing too much info about her own life, that is the breach of privacy.
Is it possible to follow without sharing? Or is that missing the point, like having a FB account just to be friends with others on FB?

stem

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 11:58 am
Sherri wrote:
What breach in privacy can there be when someone is sending YOU the message about THEM? Please explain.

Who knows what they will be messaging about? If it's private, you won't know when things are going in a direction you'd rather your daughter not be involved.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 12:07 pm
I'm sure it's possible to follow without sharing, but I think it's too easy to get sucked into sharing back. And once one has the account, you don't have control what goes on after.
Not to mention this whole culture of everyone knowing everyone else's business is not the way Yidden are supposed to behave.

fruitbasket

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 2:53 pm
It's definitely safer than facebook.

Fox

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 3:52 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
It's actually very boring I checked it out and could not believe how boring twitter is. I imiagine if you follow a celebrity it is equally boring. Do I really care what they are doing every moment of the day?

This was my reaction exactly! I first joined Twitter about 1 1/2 years ago, and I'm amazed that it's become so popular. Not only was it boring, it was actually a little depressing! I mean, I'd like to think that someone, somewhere is leading a glamorous life. But it just confirms the suspicion that everyone's daily life is pretty boring -- even high-profile people.

NiesNow

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 1:31 pm
Twitter (unlike FaceBook) is not dangerous
I operate a twitter account check it out [url removed]
I post interesting Jewish and Tech News, if you have a twitter account I would be delighted is you can follow me Smile

--
Check out [url removed]

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 4:25 pm
duplicate post

Last edited by Cookies n Cream on Thu, Aug 05 2010, 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 4:26 pm
I would be way more concerned about FB than Twitter.
But I don't agree with the idea of these social networking sites in the first place (especially for teens) so...

KAlex

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 4:29 pm
If she does go on Twitter, you can follow what she writes there without being a member yourself, like a blog, with RSS feeds. The dangerous thing could be if she puts too much information out about herself, not realising it's public.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics