Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
How do you choose a car seat for a one year old?

happy chick

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 6:45 pm
do you choose the style you like or look for better features? I see that some are up to 50 lbs and some up to 65 lbs. is that of importance? it doesnt seem like a child of 50 lbs will be sitting in a car seat. any suggestions?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 7:59 am
Every "graduation" from a safety feature results in lesser safety.
It's up to you how long your child will be harnessed, but for me, the longer the better.
It also depends on the build of your child. A 6 year old who weighs 60 lbs should definitely be harnessed. A 9 year old probably won't let you.

The most important thing is that it can be installed safely in your car. Some install more easily than others, but a proper installation is key in protecting your child.

You also have to figure out space issues. I love The First Years True Fit car seat -- it has built-in-lockoffs -- for an easy install, but it's not a small carseat at all.

Your baby should still be rear-facing. It's much safer than switching to FF at this age. At least till 2, possibly even longer (my kids stay that way till 3; I couldn't handle having 3 RF kids at a time, so when I've been almost due with a baby, the 3 year old gets switched to FF as I believe the muscles in the neck are therefore stronger).
Even once switched FF, the child should be harnessed as long as possible. Not only is a shoulder belt not as restraining as a 5 point strap, but the child's maturity affects the way he sits and how a shoulder belt harness can properly be belted over his body. Most 5 year olds aren't at that level -- they can't cross their legs, for example, and slouch, as that will affect where the shoulder belt lies.

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 8:04 am
you don't say what state you are in, but in NY the law states your child must be in car seat or booster until age 8.

The National Highway Safety Board has a website with car seat information. Make sure what ever you buy will fit your child in regards to height and weight.

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 8:48 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Every "graduation" from a safety feature results in lesser safety.
It's up to you how long your child will be harnessed, but for me, the longer the better.
It also depends on the build of your child. A 6 year old who weighs 60 lbs should definitely be harnessed. A 9 year old probably won't let you.

The most important thing is that it can be installed safely in your car. Some install more easily than others, but a proper installation is key in protecting your child.

You also have to figure out space issues. I love The First Years True Fit car seat -- it has built-in-lockoffs -- for an easy install, but it's not a small carseat at all.

Your baby should still be rear-facing. It's much safer than switching to FF at this age. At least till 2, possibly even longer (my kids stay that way till 3; I couldn't handle having 3 RF kids at a time, so when I've been almost due with a baby, the 3 year old gets switched to FF as I believe the muscles in the neck are therefore stronger).
Even once switched FF, the child should be harnessed as long as possible. Not only is a shoulder belt not as restraining as a 5 point strap, but the child's maturity affects the way he sits and how a shoulder belt harness can properly be belted over his body. Most 5 year olds aren't at that level -- they can't cross their legs, for example, and slouch, as that will affect where the shoulder belt lies.

I agree.

When I chose the seat I now have for my then-one-year-old, I chose to buy the one that would allow him to remain rear-facing as long as possible. I ended up buying a Radian that has a rear-facing weight limit of 45 pounds. I even have my five-year-old rear-facing as well, since she still weighs a little under 40 pounds.

My eight-year-old is still in a car seat and will be in a harness at least until she is 65 pounds, which is, for her, at least a couple years off. Today, I'm actually watching her heavier eight-year-old friend, who I also plan to strap into a car seat when we go out, since I also have a car seat that goes up to 80 pounds, and just fits her height-wise.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 9:30 am
My husband who is an EMT and a car seat safety inspector, advises parents that it's safest to keep your child rear facing for as long as possible. The American Academy of Pediatrics says that the standard is 1 year AND 20 pounds as the MINIMUM a child should be to not be rear facing, but they still recommend keeping the child rear facing for as long as the car seat allows (some are good till 35+ pounds), even if their legs are long.

When it comes to buying a car seat for my daughter, I will usually look for one in this general order:
1. Safety (and safety rating)
2. Reviews from other people who have experience with the specific model.
3. Comfort for my child
4. Ease of use (strapping her in and out, etc)
5. Features (arm rest, cup holder, etc)
6. Style and Color

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 9:55 am
AAP is now recommending 2 years, BTW.

happy chick

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 12:39 pm
seems like nobody understood my Q right. I'm not asking how long he should be in a car seat, I understand as long as possible and even after he's done with the car seat, a booster seat. I'm asking what to look for in a ff car seat. wahtever is on teh market is safe and approved, I hope. my questions was, is there anything good to look out for in particular, as for safety, convenience, etc. there are so many deifferent comapnies and models out there, that it makes me crazy every time I go to the store. btw, I am in nyc.

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 1:15 pm
I guess people are responding to your questioning the importance of a seat that goes up to 50 or more pounds, since you state that it doesn't seem like a child of that weight would be in a car seat. So people are telling you that kids of that size are often in car seats still.

Also, you write that you are looking for a forward-facing car seat and we are saying that ideally, unless you child is very, very large for his age, you should be looking for a rear-facing car seat. He should rear-face as long as possible for optimum safety. It is likely he could be rear-facing for another couple years or more depending on his size.

As I wrote, the most important factor, for me, when I chose the car seat for my then one-year-old son was that it should have the highest possible rear-facing weight limit (and a good reputation for general safety, quality, and ease of installation in my particular vehicle). The one I bought goes up to 45 pounds rear-facing.

car-seat.org is a GREAT source of information about any car seat you may be considering. You can often find information from other parents who have installed the car seat in the same vehicle you own or use and find out if it is a good fit. It is hard to give general guidelines, since the best car seat is one that fits your child well, takes into account how quickly you expect him to grow, and will achieve a solid installation in your vehicle.

I like the Radian for this age, because of the ability to rear-face for longer. Other people like the Britax seats, you can check out their website to see all the current models and their different features. I would be looking for one that has higher weight limits (rear- and forward-facing) in order to get the maximum possible use out of the seat. There are other seats and brands that seem to be well-regarded, but these are the ones that first pop into my head. Browse around at car-seat.org to learn more about what people like and what is considered safest.

happy chick

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 1:41 pm
I guess I didnt make myself very clear. I didnt mean that he wouldnt be in anyting by 50 lbs, I just think that by that time he'll be in a booster seat. as for the rear facing, he' snot happy anymore, he could stay in the one he's in now for another couple of months, or at least until I need it for teh next one. but I cant keep him rear facing, only cause he gets very fussy and I cant see him and he cant see me... I know its safer, but sooner or later he'll have to be switched anyways. thanks for all the info.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 10 2010, 7:27 am
You'd be surprised how happy babies are when switched to a CONVERTIBLE carseat (Rf and FF) despite still being RF. They have a lot more room and are at a more upright angle, and they generally stay happy RF in those car seats.
Try it.

I'm trying to get the most bang out of your buck....what is your price range? What kind of car do you have? I love the True Fit, personally.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries