Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Phil & teds vs city mini double

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 9:03 am
I live in E"Y & am going back & forth between getting one of these 2 strollers for my (IY"H) 2 yr old & infant. LIGHT is important to me, but folding, maneuvering through stores & bumping up stairs are also considerations. Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

sky

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 9:36 am
Phil and Ted manuvers through stores great and bumps up stairs easily.
Its fold is a pain, compared to the city mini which is easy, and it weights a lot more, but that makes sense because the tires are much larger on the phil and ted.

OldYoung

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 9:44 am
sky wrote:
Phil and Ted manuvers through stores great and bumps up stairs easily.

Ditto! The fold is a lot harder than the city mini, and if you don't have the vibe, then you have to take off the back seat before folding. (I think?)

SivanMom

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 10:11 am
DS and DD are 21 months apart. At first I bought a Phil & Teds Dash. It was a brand new model and defective. I had three before I gave up and bought the City Mini. So here are my observations. The P&T pushes like a dream. However, because of the one tire in the front, when you go up and down a curb (or in your case, stairs) it often tilts and it's quite heavy to right it. Also, if you leave it go for just a second without pushing the brake, it can end up down the street. As I single, I found it to be the biggest pain of a single stroller. Took it to the mall as a single and needed more clearance than I need now for my City Mini. As a double though, it pretty cool. The newborn option is the coolest - barely anyone even knew she was in there, that's how sheltered she was. All in all, I found it to ride beautifully, but was too fussy for me, I like simple.
The City Mini: pushes very well for non air tires, but not nearly as well as the other. It does not need a lot of clearance, and I actually find it quite easy to use in small spaces. It goes out of my standard front door without touching the sides. The fold is easy as anything, and it is quite light for a double. (Mine does not have a lock once it's folded, which it could use. I think the newer models might have this?) For the negatives: The seats don't sit up as much as I would like. I would say the belly bar is a necessity for the 8-12 month stage when they don't want to be leaning back anymore, but can't support themselves without holding onto the bar. Although the frame seems sturdy enough, the fabric does not look sturdy. Mine is still fine, but I've heard that they can rip. Also, now that both my kids are over 30 lbs. it can be a bit much to push. I never tried the P&T with that much weight, so I can't compare, but I'm assuming it would be easier because of the tires.

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 10:27 am
Thank you for your replies. I have the city mini single, so I know how those are built. Have you had any probs w/ the air tires? Either going flat or having to be replaced? I'll probably use it for groceries & such & I don't want to have to repair it.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 10:40 am
I have the P&T now for 2.5 years. I have to pump the tires every so often, but I've always had fair warning and was never stranded with a deflated tire I couldn't push. I never had a problem with a flat, I'd imagine if you'd go over a nail you may have a problem.
I pushed it with pretty heavy kids (BIG 3 and 18 month old and it still pushed great).
The tires with air make a big difference in the push.

mazaltov

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 10:41 am
We were debating getting a double stroller - side by side, or the P&T, and we chose the P&T because:
#1- its a whole lot easier to get thru doors and you dont have to feel like you are taking up the whole sidewalk.
#2- if you are only going to have one baby/child with you at that time, you can use the single option instead of taking a double stroller for 1 child. (and you dont need 2 strollers at home....)
#3- The vibe FOLDS with the second seat attached which is a dream because you dont have to take the second seat out and find a place to store it....
#4- its a really pretty stroller and I get compliments on it all the time! so why not a pretty stroller while your at it?
Good luck!

SivanMom

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 12:34 pm
Hashemlovesme wrote:
Thank you for your replies. I have the city mini single, so I know how those are built. Have you had any probs w/ the air tires? Either going flat or having to be replaced? I'll probably use it for groceries & such & I don't want to have to repair it.

I'm not so sure about the City Mini for grocery shopping. The basket is quite inconvenient and if you hang too many bags from the handle (with a mommy hook, perhaps), it can tilt backward, especially if you take your heavier child out of it before you take off the bags. I don't know how that would work with the P&T, I can't even remember what the basket was like.

Dev80

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 12:50 pm
All you P&T owners using it as a double, do you feel like your child in the second seat is to low to the ground, and does being in that seat bother the child? TIA

watermelon

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 1:16 pm
I have a Phil & Teds and we love it!

It fits in all doorways, doesnt cram the grocery aisles, fits thru the racks at Macys...

When we first got it, I had a newborn and 2 1/2 year old. Now theyre 18 months and 4 and we still use it all the time. They have no issues with the bottom seat, they actually argue over who gets ita!

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 3:21 pm
Do ppl with long legs have to lean forward to push it? Also when going up a curb how does it not hit the sidewalk?
(btw I'm leaning towards the p&t for easier pushing & maneuvering around- I have the city mini single & will end up using both) Thank you all for your help!

sky

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 6:55 pm
I don't find the seat to low.
The front wheel makes curbs tricky, it takes a few days to learn that. But once you get the hang of it it is fine.
Only when going down steps that are VERY far apart do I worry about the bottom child hitting the step, on normal steps or curbs it doesn't happen.
It is not great for shopping as you can't hang bags over the handles and the basket is were the back seat child's feet go so you cannot put to much there.

the handle is adjustable so leaning forward is not a problem. Someone with long legs may have a problem with their legs hitting the back of the bottom seat.

jaysmom

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 7:57 pm
phil and teds is not light

Hashemlovesme

Post Fri, Aug 13 2010, 12:50 am
online it says the vibe weighs 22lbs.-that is very light

sky

Post Fri, Aug 13 2010, 2:03 pm
Hashemlovesme wrote:
online it says the vibe weighs 22lbs.-that is very light

Vibe has is might of a lighter material then the other P&Ts so it comes out slightly lighter. Just make sure the weitght includes the filled tires.

Unique

Post Fri, Aug 13 2010, 2:36 pm
I love my P&T. I got the Dash for the easier fold and brake - all through the handle, and also for the pull string recline. The only downside I found is that the hood is minimal and the basket isn't that big - but for picking up a few groceries it's fine. But these negatives are worth it since it pushes like a dream and is narrow enought to maneuver in stores. I actually like the bottom seat - my baby loves it down there and has a nice side view.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics