Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Baking - yeast question - HELP!!

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 1:44 pm
I have a recipe that calls for 2 oz fresh or dried yeast. Does that mean I need EIGHT of those little packets? That seems pretty excessive. (The recipe uses 8-9 cups flour, if that matters). Somebody please advise fast! Thanks.

Just wanted to add to be clear I am talking about challah recipe.

louche

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 1:53 pm
A scant tablespoon of active dry yeast is the equivalent of 1 oz. fresh. You need TWO packets, U.S.
They should have said two ounces fresh or equivalent active dry, not two ounces fresh or dry. OMG, 8 packets would generate enough CO2 to extinguish the Great Chicago Fire!

Yep, 2 tablespoons for 8-10 cups flour is what I use.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 1:54 pm
LOL! Thanks so much and have a great Shabbos!

louche

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:01 pm
You, too!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:13 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for 2 oz fresh or dried yeast. Does that mean I need EIGHT of those little packets? That seems pretty excessive. (The recipe uses 8-9 cups flour, if that matters). Somebody please advise fast! Thanks.

Just wanted to add to be clear I am talking about challah recipe.

If you're a serious baker, you can get 1 or 2 lb. packages of dried yeast that stay wonderfully in the freezer for a fraction of the cost, from warehouse or food service stores (we have one chain here that's open to the public for free).

louche

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:19 pm
Right-o. Red Star Yeast at Costco. About $3-4 for 2 lbs. as opposed to about $2.19 for three measly envelopes. A bag lasts me literally for years in the freezer, stays active to the last grain, even years past its"use by" date. I always proof first, anyway.

GetReal

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:26 pm
I meant to ask someone - should I be keeping my dry yeast in the fridge or the freezer? And if it will last longer in the freezer, do I need to let it defrost before using or just throw it in?

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:42 pm
Well I'm not much of a baker at all, but I have taken on baking challah every week again (this is week 2) so I think I will definitely be running to Costco for a big package of yeast. Thanks for the money-saving tip!

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 5:03 pm
GetReal wrote:
I meant to ask someone - should I be keeping my dry yeast in the fridge or the freezer? And if it will last longer in the freezer, do I need to let it defrost before using or just throw it in?

I keep my dry yeast in the freezer, it does not freeze, it remains in granules and you can just throw it in as needed. I find it lasts longer when its kept dry and cold.

louche

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 5:21 pm
GetReal wrote:

For the long term, freeze. You need not bring to room temp before using, seeing as you're proofing in warm water anyhow.

GetReal

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 6:09 pm
I forgot all about the question I asked here, and then today I baked challah and opened a new package of yeast - the big ones. That brought it to mind, so I came to check Smile Thanks all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads